The economy and its effects on Charlotte

Charlotte_native

Keep in mind that unemployment statistics are most often confused with how many people are actually out of work. This isn't the case. The number is simply the number of people who are getting unemployment benefits. When these benefits run out, they are not counted anymore. The problem is a lot worse than stated.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Loved those news teasers last night about BofA having 30k layoffs. Turns out most were Investment Bankers, many from Merrill, and mostly in NY. You'd think (I know, I know, can't give them that much credit) that in this economy they'd lay off the alarmist teasers that pan out to be far from what they sounded like.

I don't think the bank has gone on record and stated where these layoffs are coming from. All they said is they are planning to eliminate $7B in costs. (i.e. labor costs) Ken Lewis has already gone on record as saying that he wants to keep the investment bankers at ML and said they will offer these guys incentives to stay with the bank. They also said they are considering selling off certain assets.

And exactly one year ago, Ken Lewis also said "I've had all the fun I can stand in investment banking". So I'd wouldn't necessarily take what he says for face value.

Logic alone tells you most of the cuts will come from investment banking side. .....

Merrill doesn't have a retail banking arm. BofA does. There should be very little overlap there.

Regardless we don't know anything and the local news presented their teasers as if there were some definitive news on the subject and the ones I saw implied they might be local BofA jobs. What they actually said in their newscast was that they were told most jobs would likely be on the investment banking side and would be Merrill jobs. The safe thing to do with this is not assume anything and not give credence to sensationalistic news teasers by spreading the rumors.

OK, a little more on this from the Observer today. It doesn't seem that anyone has openly said BofA and/or Merrill will cut 30,000 jobs. Lewis won't comment on it (and it seems it was stated in a CNBC report). Earlier a CNBC report had said 10,000 jobs were going quoting from 'unnamed sources'. The number of 30k seems to have come from 'analysts' who heard BofA has plans to trim $7billion or 10% of the companies annual expenses. So this is coming from outside sources, not inside, and from their assumptions. It also says that the $7billion to be trimmed will be attained by 2012 so it isn't necessarily something that will happen right now. They go on to say that BofA's brokerage unit is 'particularly vulnerable' -- but their brokerage unit only has about 2,000 advisors. Someone with BofA, Scott Silvestri, said the bank is evaluating staffing levels from the pending merger and they 'believe' there will be job eliminations they haven't completed their analysis and won't until early 2009. They also say that some of the $7billion hoped to be trimmed might come from renegotiating with vendors and combining office space.

On to this effect on Charlotte, they point out that BofA's investment management division is located in Boston and financial advisors are located across the country. Back-office operations are in 3 'major locations': Charlotte, NY, Rhode Island. Merrill's back-office is in New Jersey. Since this thread is about the economy and its effect on Charlotte, it doesn't appear that this news implies pending large scale job losses from this part of the merger in Charlotte.

I believe that Charlotte is the NC HQ for this company and they also handle billing, repair records, and administration for both Carolinas. When I used to work for them as Ma Bell back in the late 70s, they were one of the largest employers in Charlotte at the time. Maybe 10,000 people. I suspect there are not as nearly many employees now, but they do occupy not one but two significant pieces of property in downtown. (Caldwell street is the other) They also have (or did) a couple of rather large data processing centers at URP.

I believe that Charlotte is the NC HQ for this company and they also handle billing, repair records, and administration for both Carolinas. When I used to work for them as Ma Bell back in the late 70s, they were one of the largest employers in Charlotte at the time. Maybe 10,000 people. I suspect there are not as nearly many employees now, but they do occupy not one but two significant pieces of property in downtown. (Caldwell street is the other) They also have (or did) a couple of rather large data processing centers at URP.

The cuts are going to mainly affect the residential/traditional landline side of things (for obvious reasons). The operations for residential services in Charlotte are located in the office park across from the former site of the Coliseum on Tyvola. So far, from what I've heard, downsizing has occurred in the centers in Louisville and Conyers, GA. I've also heard that AT&T residential operations in the Southeast will only experience 1,000 of the nationwide 12,000 cuts but I don't know how accurate that is.

Archived