The economy and its effects on Charlotte

Charlotte_native

I don't think you have proven that given what you stated above. The only example that you have given any info on is the 1920-1929 crash and that is well known by most. If the point of these confusing posts is that what we are seeing now is somehow normal, then I am afraid that you are in the camp mentioned above by conformity. There still is a vast denial of what has happened to this economy because there is a basic misunderstanding of what is wrong with it.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it has nothing to do with the national crisis, does it. :)

It is pointless to get into this, it always becomes this same circle, no one can make a point as well as others so their opinions aren't valid. I made my point and i'm sorry you either don't agree or understand it. I think this is one of the reasons these boards used to be so much more active than they are today.

I still hold my opinions and feel they were backed up. You hold yours. You feel that the condo market here is somehow tanking by taking a couple projects and using those to validate your point. I prefer to look at the market as a whole.

A South Korean electric car maker, named CT&T, has Charlotte on a short list for its US Headquarters. Other candidates included: South Carolina; Atlanta and Savannah, Ga.; Montgomery, AL; and California. Some of their requirements include a non-union workforce and state gov't incentives. If they are looking for anything from the state govts that can pretty much eliminate California unless CT&T accepts IOUs. I always find it interesting that every time some company is looking for an HQ in the south east it almost always includes Atlanta if Charlotte is in the mix (and vice versa). This has the potential for creating a few thousand jobs...

Diagnostic Devices Inc, who manufacturers medical equipment, is bringing 100 high tech jobs to Charlotte. They are shutting down their plant in China and putting the jobs here. They currently have their HQ in CLT. Pay is expected to range form $30k to $100k...

In other job related news, Liberty National Life Insurance is hiring 300 people in Charlotte. They will open 3 area offices.

While its nice to hear some jobs are coming here, Liberty National is a 100% commission based job. Out of the 300 they hire, probably more than 2/3rds of them will fail and replaced by more who will fail. Selling insurance is a tough job and when you have no base salary to fall back on when you're in a drought, you look for something else as soon as possible. Nobody wants to work for free.

Archived