Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

Big New Years Eve event planned for downtown this year

43 posts in this topic

A press conference is scheduled for 2:30PM Monday, November 24th at Rosa Parks Circle to unveil details for a big celebration taking place New Year

A press conference is scheduled for 2:30PM Monday, November 24th at Rosa Parks Circle to unveil details for a big celebration taking place New Year

From their website, it says the ball will drop from Rosa Parks Circle. Should be cool.

I never know band names, I just recognize songs, so I had to look up who Plain White T's were:

With a crane?

So is the ball going to literally drop onto us? :lol:

Sorry it just sounds kinda silly...I think it would be more cool to see it drop from the McKay Tower...but who knows maybe next year?

They should build a temporary pole to put ontop of the art museum and drop if from there. A rockford crane is kind of... blah. Having all the people in Rosa Parks Circle watching it would be awesome.

They should build a temporary pole to put ontop of the art museum and drop if from there. A rockford crane is kind of... blah. Having all the people in Rosa Parks Circle watching it would be awesome.

Nothing says "festive holiday season" like a gignormous piece of construction equipment.

Nothing says "festive holiday season" like a gignormous piece of construction equipment.

Additional events are piling on. Facebook has an event listing for "the human ball" which will be folks holding lit items: glow sticks, cell phones, lighters...dunno what they'll be doing. (Standing in a circle? Creating a human pyramid in a sphere shape? Jumping off McKay?)

This event really needs a dance leader to tell them "elbow turn your neighbor."

Piece in today's paper:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/entertainment...et_for_its.html

(I was wondering how they'd handle the slippery footing. Maybe they could just make the ice go away after the rink closes on the 30th, use the pretty underfoot constellations for the event, then after tear down just re-flood the rink.)

GRAM is open, too.

http://www.artmuseumgr.org/home/page/New+Y...the+Art+Museum/

(never heard of "video dance music")

If this keeps up, we will have ourselves a "first night" and I won't have to go to Kalamazoo (Tuba New Year) and Ann Arbor (contra dancing).

So who all went? I saw Jean, and GRNow. And the mayor.

http://photos.mlive.com/grandrapidspress/2...ll_drop_11.html

Get a load of this piece on WOOD:

"In Kalamazoo, the New Year's Fest featured 28 performers in nine different buildings, all accessible with a $5 ticket. The celebration got underway at 5:30 p.m. with the Tuba New Year, and continued well past midnight with many different acts."

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/GR_ball_dro...ing_in_New_Year

Talked to quite a few folks at the K'zoo event who had heard something about the ball drop.

Oh, and parking...DASH lots and shuttles were heavily used. Walk a couple blocks up the hill and there were many places to leave a four-wheeler. I saw lots of folks walking home to Heritage Hill and environs.

I was down there. We went over to some friends for a party and cut out early to catch the ball drop. There were a lot people down there for the zombie walk but this took the cake for number of people. Very cool experience seeing so many downtown. Wonder what the local businesses experienced besides the hotels which as mentioned by GRDad were booked full. We stopped in MadCap Coffee on our way down and that place was packed, they were selling $2 drinks.

I was down there. We went over to some friends for a party and cut out early to catch the ball drop. There were a lot people down there for the zombie walk but this took the cake for number of people. Very cool experience seeing so many downtown. Wonder what the local businesses experienced besides the hotels which as mentioned by GRDad were booked full. We stopped in MadCap Coffee on our way down and that place was packed, they were selling $2 drinks.

Hey, how was MadCap? What's the interior like?

My wife and I stayed at the JW Marriot. We had an INCREDIBLE room. Our room had East, North, and West Views. We were literally looking down on the the ball drop. We started the night at XO for dinner, spent some time in the chaos, went to the 80's party at the Marriot, and ended the evening curled up on our chaise lounge chair in our room watching the ball drop. I have never seen anything like it in Grand Rapids...I cannot wait to book for net year.

BTW-this was our first time staying at the JW and we were very impressed. The view of our City from the 16th floor is quite impressive.

I spent a more quiet evening home with the kids. While watching Fox 17's coverage of the GR downtown event, some nutty woman was standing next to the reporter hooting on a big old tuba (or was it a sousaphone?)

Anywho, it looked like quite the event. Bully for GR for getting a bunch of people out and about downtown in December.

... While watching Fox 17's coverage of the GR downtown event, some nutty woman was standing next to the reporter hooting on a big old tuba (or was it a sousaphone?)

Anywho, it looked like quite the event. Bully for GR for getting a bunch of people out and about downtown in December.

Hey, I represent that remark!

It's a sousaphone, an antique from the GR Band Instrument Co (formerly located on Division, and I never saw the notice about the wrecking ball). 22 lbs. The LED lights were found at Wally World on the way home from Tuba New Year.