Big New Years Eve event planned for downtown this year

GRDadof3

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there. Amazing for a first year event. We went to dinner at Bloom - Four course dinner was amazing. Then went to the Amway Grand Hotel and after that to the GRAM for some drinks and to warm up. One of our friends brothers got married at the Amway Grand and we went to the reception after the ball drop and The Plain White T's had crashed the party and were dancing with all the brides maids, I bet they have done that before :) . Can't wait till next year.

I was there. Amazing for a first year event. We went to dinner at Bloom - Four course dinner was amazing. Then went to the Amway Grand Hotel and after that to the GRAM for some drinks and to warm up. One of our friends brothers got married at the Amway Grand and we went to the reception after the ball drop and The Plain White T's had crashed the party and were dancing with all the brides maids, I bet they have done that before :) . Can't wait till next year.

Article about the economic impact, with a couple quotes

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind..._soared_as.html

Superior Watch would not have moved any sunglasses, but perhaps someone else could have reaped some benefits (Blake's Turkey).

As an entrepreneur, I should have signed a 6-hour agreement on the Friends' space, and merched it out with party hats, horns, and tiaras. And ear-warmers. Paid DTE a paltry sum to turn on the heat, brought all my folding chairs and tables, brought in a coffee pot. And some rolls of TP.

GRPress editorial: Grand Rapids should not drop the ball on new holiday tradition

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/grand-rapids/...ld.html#preview

"The local Chamber of Commerce, visitors bureau and others committed to the economic growth and vitality of the city should be lining up to help plan, promote and co-sponsor next year's celebration. Any event that attracts thousands of visitors and residents alike to the city is a prime opportunity to showcase the town and entice people to return.

Downtown streets and hotels were full of people. Lines for some restaurants and bars stretched around buildings. Biggby's Coffee on Monroe Center, which extended its normal hours, did a brisk business. So did the Grand Rapids Arts Museum, which had special New Year's events for kids and adults and stayed open until 12:30 a.m., well past its normal closing time.

Approximately 2,000 people, many of them kids and first-time visitors, spent time at the museum, which also offered dinner specials at its cafe, reduced admission and wrist bans that allowed visitors to come and go throughout the night. The GRAM's experience might be incentive for other downtown venues such as the Childrens' Museum, the Grand Rapids Public Museum and the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum to consider joining the festivities next year."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I need to set up a web page that's not limited to the Facebook space regarding this effort. Any recommendations? Glanced at the blogspot and wordpress hosts...

GRPress editorial: Grand Rapids should not drop the ball on new holiday tradition

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/grand-rapids/...ld.html#preview

"The local Chamber of Commerce, visitors bureau and others committed to the economic growth and vitality of the city should be lining up to help plan, promote and co-sponsor next year's celebration. Any event that attracts thousands of visitors and residents alike to the city is a prime opportunity to showcase the town and entice people to return.

Downtown streets and hotels were full of people. Lines for some restaurants and bars stretched around buildings. Biggby's Coffee on Monroe Center, which extended its normal hours, did a brisk business. So did the Grand Rapids Arts Museum, which had special New Year's events for kids and adults and stayed open until 12:30 a.m., well past its normal closing time.

Approximately 2,000 people, many of them kids and first-time visitors, spent time at the museum, which also offered dinner specials at its cafe, reduced admission and wrist bans that allowed visitors to come and go throughout the night. The GRAM's experience might be incentive for other downtown venues such as the Childrens' Museum, the Grand Rapids Public Museum and the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum to consider joining the festivities next year."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I need to set up a web page that's not limited to the Facebook space regarding this effort. Any recommendations? Glanced at the blogspot and wordpress hosts...

Archived