Ghetto burbs

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IT, Pontiac is a Ghetto? The Silverdome is there, its a Ghetto!

Pittsburgh has several since its never annexed "urban" areas especially in the industrial Steel Valley.

Wilkinsburg (where the racially motivated shooting spree happened about 2 years ago reported on CNN and MSNBC live at the time bad day in Metro history)

Braddock

Swissvale

Munhall

Homestead (the home of the worlds GREATEST ballclub the Homestead Greys of the NegroLeagues!)

McKeesport (WNBA's MVP Swin Cash's hometown!)

Duquesne

Clairton

McKees Rocks (World Lightweight champion Joe Spadafora's hometown!)

Belle Vernon

Donora (Ken Griffey, and Ken Griffey Jr's hometown, as well as Stan Musials!)

Monessen (1994 World Heavyweight Champion Michael Moorer hometown!)

Monongahela (Joe Montana's hometown!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Add Penn Hills to Pittsburgh's "ghetto suburbs" list. It was a typical middle-class suburb when my family moved there in 1980, but around 1990 it started to become more ghetto-fied.

Can you explain Penn Hills' decline, DBR?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Memphis has Hickory Hill

Oh My and St. Louis has Kinlock, East St. Louis IL., Berkeley and Welston.

Nashville has North Nashville.

I know its hard for one to believe, Charlotte didn't have any when I lived there 8 years ago.

Chicago has Gary Ind.

North Nashville is inner-city Nashville, not suburban and not even as "ghetto" as East or even South Nashville IMO. A ghetto suburb would probably be Gallatin. While Gallatin may look like its trying to be a millionaire's haven on the outskirts it has quite a few sketchy areas around the core.

• 4 weeks later...

All most every city has them.

List you city's ghetto burbs and post pics if you can find them.:)

Some ghetto suburbs in the DFW area.

Cockrell Hill, TX

Forest Hill, TX

White Settlement, TX

Balch Springs, TX

Dalworth neighborhood in Grand Prairie, TX

Woodhaven in Fort Worth. A master planned suburban community gone wrong.

• 10 months later...

Chicago has some great ones. The most prominent would probably be Cicero, Maywood, Harvey, and Robbins and many of their adjacent communities. Today, a young women from Cicero was found dead in the trunk of her car at an impound lot in Robbins. Last week, a nursing home resident from Cicero was murdered in her bed. And I work for a civil engineering firm that has Cicero as a client. Among the work we've done for them is a gang boundary map and a rat control map. The town president is currently in federal prison for stealing from the community for the past twenty years. Cicero also has the largest percentage of unsolved murders in Chicagoland, surpassing even Chicago itself. Yes indeed, Cicero is the garden spot of the Midwest. :rofl:

Ooooh, Atlanta has a scary ghetto burb out near Hartsfield.  I wanna say it's College Park?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm about two months late on this, but for the record College Park is a pretty damn nice town these days. It's up and coming and has huge sections that are very middle- to upper-middle class.

It is, however, home of Outkast and Ludacris, and maybe some others. :D

East Point and Hapeville, which border it, are much worse... though also not terrible.

edit: I'm actually about a YEAR and two months late on this. Oops. Talk about beating a dead horse.

I'm about two months late on this, but for the record College Park is a pretty damn nice town these days. It's up and coming and has huge sections that are very middle- to upper-middle class.

It is, however, home of Outkast and Ludacris, and maybe some others.

A first-ring suburb of Minneapolis, Richfield, has tons of crappy post-WWII housing and about 10 years ago they became very worried they were going to be a ghetto --so they have a huge ambitious plan to remake the suburb. They ripped out an entire neighborhood and basically gave the land for the Best Buy headquarters. They have torn out other neighborhoods to build senior housing towers and now I read another neighborhood is going to bite the dust so they can build a new urban village.

Miami's Carol City (The Ghettoburb USA)

Jacksonville - Yulee (c'mon, thats just plain ole ghetto)

Tampa - Gibsonton (its kinda scary there, and not in a gun carrying thug sort of way)

Orlando - Apopka,.(there are just some places I dont go at night)

Atlanta - Decatur ( The Dec!)

Tallahassee - FAMU No, No, Im kidding,.. wouldnt dare speak of my school in such a manner... :rofl:

**Disclaimer: These are SUBURBAN cities outside of the urban core.. cuz my list would be alot longer...

Couldn't you toss in Fairburn, Jonesboro, Forest Park, Riverdale, and the like?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is your definition of ghetto because these places hardly fit the bill with the exception being parts of Forest Park.

Miami's  Carol City  (The Ghettoburb USA)

Jacksonville - Yulee (c'mon, thats just plain ole ghetto)

Tampa -  Gibsonton (its kinda scary there, and not in a gun carrying thug sort of way)

Orlando - Apopka,.(there are just some places I dont go at night)

Atlanta - Decatur ( The Dec!)

Tallahassee - FAMU    No, No, Im kidding,.. wouldnt dare speak of my school in such a manner...  :rofl:

**Disclaimer: These are SUBURBAN cities outside of the urban core.. cuz my list would be alot longer...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do mean Decatur outside the Perimeter, right? And even that is a leap considering the amount of homes priced @ $250k+ all over southern DeKalb.

I lay claim to Newport News' East End being a 'suburban area' because in the past 30 years the core of the city has shifted from the old downtown (near the East End/confluence of the James River and Harbor of Hampton Roads) northward 10 miles to midtown. When coming through the Monitor-Merrimack-Bridge-Tunnel (coming from the Southside of our region [trying to give references to what I'm talking about haha :lol: ]) I involuntarily locked the doors of the car I was in. I didn't even think about it, I just did it, even knowing that we'd be on an elevated highway 40' above the area in a car going 65 mph. That section of the city accounts for 75%+ of the city's murders annually, particularly between 21st and 41st streets and Biggersville (once owned by a man known for taking in poor people, but then gained notoriety for the fact that his homes were way off-par to building codes which was graphically shown when 2 kids died in a fire in one of his homes). Unemployment in that section of the city echoes post-WWII East Germany and almost all residents of the East End not living along the Chesapeake Avenue corridor (ironically semi-upper-class) are below the poverty line. The area is a mix of urban and suburban... suburban layout of single homes, duplexes and the occasional apartment building. With the exception of the aptly-named "Tower" apartment building, no building in the area exceeds 3 or 4 floors so I'll call it an urban-suburban nightmare.

In Virginia Beach (which is a very suburban city), Green Run is rather ghetto. Its layout must've been planned by monkeys (TINY-@$$ houses along streets that mimick concentric circles connected by a few crossing roads). The layout promotes crime because it's virtually impossible for police to effectively patrol the area. The schools (Green Run High) are a joke and the combination of bad teachers, underfunding, no parental involvement, etc. etc. etc. is proving to basically strangle the neighborhood.

BUT THE MIA. oyyyy. Any part of Miami proper along the westside of town... the idea frightens me (or maybe I've seen too much TV)

Memphis has Hickory Hill

Oh My and St. Louis has Kinlock, East St. Louis IL., Berkeley and Welston.

Nashville has North Nashville.

I know its hard for one to believe, Charlotte didn't have any when I lived there 8 years ago.

Chicago has Gary Ind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just like with North Nashville for Nashville, Hickory Hills is in the City of Memphis. Memphis doesn't really have any Ghetto suburbs. The main reason for this is that Memphis came late to spreading out and was able to annex so much land over time that what would have been suburbs in other cities. Memphis does have a number of areas that would be considered Ghettos, but they are all within the city limits.

In the greater New York area, there is Yonkers, NY (just to the north of the city), Mt. Vernon,NY, New Rochelle, NY (not as bad as the other ones), Port Chester,NY,East Orange,NJ, Elizabeth,NJ, Newark,NJ (to some extent) and Bridgeport, CT (one of the countries poorlest large cities in a county that is consistently in the top 10 per capita income in the country).

Archived