Ghetto burbs

forgive me, I get working class and ghetto mixed up

Excuse Me! Downriver a Ghetto! I think not!!

I'm just defending Taylor here...I'm sick of people's ignorance...

There are currently 91 single-family homes listed on www.realtor.com for sale in Taylor over $200,000.

Here are only a few of the new residential developments going on in Taylor:

Beechwood Estates

19 Single-Family Homes

Price range: $239,600 - $310,800

Average square feet: 2,200

SOLD OUT

Fox Chase

44 lots/Single-Family Homes

Price range: $212,600 - $305,400

Square Feet: 1,800 - 2,800

SOLD OUT

Heatherwood Estates

86 Single-Family Homes

Square feet: 1,900 - 2,500

Price range: $229,200 - $354,200

SOLD OUT

Meadow Woods

29 Lots/Single-Family Homes

Price range: $193,000 - $251,200

Average square feet: 2,000

SOLD OUT

Taylor Meadows

54 Condominiums

Average price: $220,000

Average square feet:1,500

Under Construction

Woods of Pardee

45 Single-Family Homes

Price Range: $211,200 - $306,000

Average Square Feet: 2,200

SOLD OUT

More New Housing Developments:

 Woods of Pardee (45 homes; Pardee between Goddard and Northline)

 Meadow Woods (29 homes; Pardee at Kinyon)

 Fox Chase (87 homes; Racho north of Superior)

 Labana Woods (85 homes; Northwest corner of Wick and Beech Daly)

 Beechwood Estates (19 homes; Goddard and Katherine area)

 Coachlight Village (97 condominiums; Pardee at Superior)

 Monroe Meadows (10 homes; Monroe at Rosemary)

 Fairway (22 infill lots)

 Heatherwoods Estates (38 homes; Brest Road between Ran and Pine)

 Kinyon Woods (87 condominiums; redevelopment at Pardee and Kinyon)

 Parkwood Commons (64 lots; Pine between Koth and Haig)

 Wiltsie Land Condominiums (7 units; Westlake between Mary and Wick)

 Woodcreek Condominiums (97 units; Pardee between Northline and Eureka)

 Glen Abbey Condominiums (14 units; Polk south of Ecorse Road)

 Golf Pointe (32 condominiums; at Lakes of Taylor, Beech Daly, south of Northline)

 Fairways II (33 condominiums; north of Eureka between Hampden and Harold)

 Chelsea Park (160 apartments; west side of Beech Daly between Kinyon and Continental)

Educational Resources:

 15 Public Elementary Schools

 3 Middle Schools

 2 Public High Schools

 8 Parochial Schools

 Wayne County Community College Downriver Campus

Medical Facilities:

 Oakwood Heritage Hospital (241 beds)

Major Employers: (100+ employees)

 Masco Corporation (Fortune 500 Manufacturer)

 Marshall Fields (retail store)

 K-Mart Corp (retail store)

 J.C. Penney (retail store)

 Meijer, Inc. (retail store)

 Worthington Steel Co.

 Johnson Controls (automotive supplier)

 Oakwood Heritage Hospital

 Watson Engineering (automotive supplier)

 Wade-Trim Associates, Inc. (engineering services)

 Henry Ford Medical Center

 Horizon Enterprises

 Arrow Uniform

 Wallside Windows

 Home Depot

 City of Taylor

 Taylor School District

 Wal Mart

Recreation and Special Attractions:

 Taylor Meadows Golf Club

 Lakes of Taylor Golf Club

 722 acres of Recreational Land (including Taylor Community Center, Activity Building, Heritage Park, Petting Farm and more than a dozen neighborhood parks )

 Taylor Recreation Center

 Jaycee Bicentennial Park (handicap-accessible park)

 Taylor Sportsplex

 I-94/Telegraph Road Gateway Bridge

Source: www.cityoftaylor.com

But you go ahead and think it's a ghetto....call it "Taylortucky", Taylor residents will smile to themselves and continue to enjoy their little secret....while their property values continue to rise.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A place like Irvington is hardly a suburb though, it's more like a neighborhood that happens to be outside the city limits of Newark.

Its still classified as a suburb of Newark & New York City. Since it is also a municipality (one of 569 in NJ), I dont know what else you would call Irvington then.

In New Orleans I asked my dad what were some of the bad suburbs.He said 3-Gretna, Marrero and Bridge City. So I went on Wikipedia and I did an income search on all the immediate suburbs and Bridge City placed last in all these categories

Lowest Median household income

Lowest median family income

Lowest Per Capita income

Highest Population % below poverty line

Highest family % below poverty line

So for New Orleans it appears that the ghetto suburb is Bridge City.

I'm just going by poverty rates. To me a ghetto isn't about race it's a place where not only is there a higher % of the people below the poverty line but a place where you are also more likely to be a victim of violent crime. However I don't know what the crime rate in Bridge City is.

Also poverty has nothing to do with crime. People commit crimes because their parents didn't care about an education now they making minimum wage and they had kids that they also didn't care to raise right. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you're going to break the law. I mean my parents are smokers, even before I was born, my older brother and sister have been smokers since they were teens,now my sister's son who is a teen is taking it up. You would think that growing up in this (my brother hid it until his 30's) environment that I would become a smoker. I didn't, I hate smoking.

Who knows :rolleyes:

"Ghetto" is such a stupid term anyway. Just another way for ignorant people to label things they know nothing about.

My thoughts, exactly. I saw the title of this thread, and thought to myself "nothing good can come of this." "Ghetto" is such a stupid and racist word in modern day society, and pretty much equates to the question being "Predominately Black and lower-income burbs." :rolleyes:

In New Orleans I asked my dad what were some of the bad suburbs.He said 3-Gretna, Marrero and Bridge City. So I went on Wikipedia and I did an income search on all the immediate suburbs and Bridge City placed last in all these categories

Lowest Median household income

Lowest median family income

Lowest Per Capita income

Highest Population % below poverty line

Highest family % below poverty line

So for New Orleans it appears that the ghetto suburb is Bridge City.

I'm just going by poverty rates. To me a ghetto isn't about race it's a place where not only is there a higher % of the people below the poverty line but a place where you are also more likely to be a victim of violent crime. However I don't know what the crime rate in Bridge City is.

Also poverty has nothing to do with crime. People commit crimes because their parents didn't care about an education now they making minimum wage and they had kids that they also didn't care to raise right. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you're going to break the law. I mean my parents are smokers, even before I was born, my older brother and sister have been smokers since they were teens,now my sister's son who is a teen is taking it up. You would think that growing up in this (my brother hid it until his 30's) environment that I would become a smoker. I didn't, I hate smoking.

Poverty is one of the main causes of crime. Think about it, when you don't have much and are desperate for a better life, you're going to do whatever it takes to make things better for yourself, even if it involves knocking someone off.

People, look up ghetto in the dictionary. The origins of the words come from the middle ages when Jews were restricted to certain parts of the city in Europe. A ghetto can be white, black, latino, etc. There are plenty of white ghettos in this country. A generation ago, South Boston was a white suburban ghetto, though it is now gentrified.

I understand totally what the poster said about Hartford, CT. I grew up there. The South End is an Italian ghetto. Plus, you don't have a hip urban core poplulated by yuppies like you do in other New England cities like Boston, Providence, RI and Portland, ME.

I understand totally what the poster said about Hartford, CT. I grew up there. The South End is an Italian ghetto. Plus, you don't have a hip urban core poplulated by yuppies like you do in other New England cities like Boston, Providence, RI and Portland, ME.

What is this poster????

I am also from the Hartford area and will assume maybe you are Italian if you grew up in the South End....I am Italian as well, my grandparents came to Hartford from Sicily, they never lived in the South End but lived on Albany Ave in the North End, then on Ann St by the future public safety complex, then on Farmington Ave in the West End before moving to Wethersfield.

A majority of Italians have moved out of Hartford's south end to communties directly south of the city such as Wethersfield, Rocky Hill and Newington. Still located in the south end though are Italian restaurants (First & Last, Carbone's, Il Panino) Italain bakeries (Modern Pastry, Mozzicato De Pasquale, South End Bakery) and Italian clubs (Italian American Starts) that have stayed and still draw suburbanites to the south end.

Hi ctman. I grew up in Cromwell and left after graduating from Cromwell High in 1993. There just was not enough jobs and opportunity back home for me to stay, and I was anxious to live in a bigger city for the culture. I went to school in Boston, and in the meantime all my family left CT for Florida.

My parents and grandparents were from Middletown. My dad's folks immigrated from Sicily. I had a lot extended family in Middletown as well.

My favorite place in the South End was Franklin Giant Grinder. I miss it a lot. I'm glad the all the Italian businesses are still there!

• 3 weeks later...

"Ghetto" is such a stupid and racist word in modern day society, and pretty much equates to the question being "Predominately Black and lower-income burbs." :rolleyes:

Uh, no. Maybe in your eyes. To me, race isn't an issue with this. In fact, too many people obsess with race these days and place it where it doesn't belong; hint.

First of all ... a lot of successful black people talk of "growing up in the ghetto" and being a success sometimes because of it othertimes in spite of it. Ghetto is a term that describes neighborhoods of individuals of mostly the same race, usually those individuals being disadvantaged because of racism or cultural differences. Having said that, it is by no means racist but an accurate description of what these neighborhoods are. The reasons behind why these ghettos exist may be racist, though. Chinatown is a ghetto (language barrier, not 100% racism), little Italy is a ghetto (ditto). You could almost say that Greenwich Village is a homosexual ghetto.

My thoughts, exactly. I saw the title of this thread, and thought to myself "nothing good can come of this." "Ghetto" is such a stupid and racist word in modern day society, and pretty much equates to the question being "Predominately Black and lower-income burbs." :rolleyes:

Racist??? How in the world do you call a phrase that the majority of black people where as a badge of honor racist? Maybe racism on the part of blacks. It always cracks me up how oftne misguidingly blacks feel they have to claim to be 'ghetto' or else they are some type of sell-out or not keepin' it real.

I can't tell you how many times seeing some profile of a pro athlete or rapper or whatever on tv, and the dude grew up in Cooterville, Iowa but he's still from the hood, from a broken home, struggled making it, blah blah blah. But the white guy that grew up in South Central LA and whose parents were in prison is from a 'working-class' background. ROFL

Uh, no. Maybe in your eyes. To me, race isn't an issue with this. In fact, too many people obsess with race these days and place it where it doesn't belong; hint.

I agree, the more people use race and racism as an excuse for things the more it perpetuates. Race is still a problem, but equating ghetto with racism is just trying to incite trouble.

I always amazes me when people get their backs up over using a word. Race has nothing to do with this. Ghetto is a legimate word.

Anyway, how about the Los Angeles G-E-T-O burbs...Compton? Watts? Inglewood? South Central? Or East Oakland in the San Francisco Bay Area, or San Francisco's own Tenderloin district (my brother technically lives on the border of this neighborhood). Good times! :wacko:

its not a suburb, but i thought id tell you guys how poor Benton Harbor, MI( about 30 miles from South Bend, Indiana) is.

It has a median household income of $17,471 and the per capita income was only $8,965! 42.6 percent of the population is living below the poverty line!

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Ghetto has almost nothing to do with a lower income black neighborhood--though in modern times it describes that in more times then not--the term I believe was a reference to an actual neighborhood in Warsaw, Poland going back centuries. It was the neighborhood for the Jews in Warsaw. Ghetto came to mean anyplace undesireable or lower class/income. The specifics of this I might be rusty on but ghetto being a term for predominatly black or latino 'hoods is purely an invention of Hollywood Blvd. and popular culture . . . similar to how martians are going to invade us in a few years is also an invention of that particular street.

Interested in other views on this and interesting reading on the urban suburbs of those cities listed above.

what-ever your measuring stick (low income, declining pop, abandond buildings, large African Am / Hispanic pop, high crime, high unemployment, ect.) here in West Michigan theres

-Muskegon Hights an inner ring subburb of Muskegon and

-Benton Harbor haha (could be considered a larger suburb of st. joe) as mentoined above.

-not urban but Idlwild could be the ghost-town ghetto subburb in the woods of Baldwin. This is the poorest area i've seen, (worse than Detroit) and has all the aspects associated with ghetto in an area in the woods with a tiny population.

Other areas in state that I've seen

-Buena Vista (Saginaw)

-Beecher (Flint)

-Many in metro Detroit (Dearborn was not mentoined but definatly has a ghetto area near c of D) also DET area Taylor, Inkster, Romulus

I know alot of may laugh or disagree, but Tacoma has a ghetto burb. Its called Tillicum, a neighborhood in the suburban city of Lakewood. If any of you are in the military or were in and have been stationed at Fort Lewis, you know what I am talking about. This part of town is totally cut off by everything. They freeway bisects it (Thats the only way out of this segregated place) and its surrounded by Fort Lewis. Its really sad. LOTS of crime and poverty and unfortunately it has a high minority population. The city has neglected this place to the point now that theyve finally gotten off their rich asses to do something about it. They are finally putting sewer lines into this neighborhood... Yup, in the 21st century without sewer... and this is place has been developed for a long time... since the early 1900's. Anywho... other than that... I know of no other ghettos in Washington state... poverty is usually dispersed evenly (like it should be in my opinion) though we do have some EXTREMELY expensive areas (Bill Gates lives here for heavens sake).

Anywho, I totally HATE the word ghetto. I agree, it synonymous with black or poor... one of the two. I dont agree with the word in the slightest and feel shameful living in the world's richest country, while so many citizens suffer from poverty. There is NO way in hell stuff like that should go on. I mean, if our government had their brains together and really did their job instead of sit on their asses and collect their paychecks, places like Detroit wouldnt be suffering like they do. I really dont mean to offend anyone, if I did I am VERY sorry.

Dearborn does not have a ghetto.

I don't know about that, this area used to be kinda shady...

DearbornEastBorderAlongDetroit.jpg

I haven't paid too much attention to that particular area in a while but, I think it's pretty safe to say that it probably still is.

Here are some Demographics from 2000 US Census for 1/4 Mile, 1/2 Mile & 3/4 Mile from the heart of the area I spoke of above.

DearbornEastBorderAlongDetroitDemog.jpg

I'd say that this area is more "Ghetto-like" than any section of Taylor is.

The only reason that neighborhood is "ghetto-like" is that the city has been buying up the lots one by one over the last four decades in an attempt to rezone that whole area for industry. The income levels are low because most of the people that still live there are retirees, and the housing prices are so low because the only one wanting to buy into the neighborhood is the city. And the vacancy rate is high because there are a few people who won't sell their homes hoping they can get a over-market desperation price for their properties.

Here is an article on the subject:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...=73247057105523

family.jpg

Kathy Sullivan, left, and Evelyn Giles have sold their homes in the Eugene-Porath neighborhood in Dearborn. The city has bought most of the homes there since the 1960s because it is clearing the way for redevelopment, preferably industrial.

house.jpg

Having acquired 80 lots, the city is waiting for about 40 residents to pull up stakes.

neighborhood.jpg

Archived