Ghetto burbs

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Detroit has more than Just Pontiac,

Try Highland Park, Southfield, and Just about anything downriver!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Highland park has had murder rates of OVER 100 per 100,000 and car theft rates of over 5,500 per 100,000. :o It was once home to around 60,000 people and there are now less than 16,000, the state had to take over because the city government could not support itself.

Former police station

05-police.jpg

City Hall

05-cityhall.jpg

Apartment Buildings

HighlandParkApptTwinRuins.jpg

25hpgrayfull.jpg

Abandoned Model T plant

04modetteast.jpg

Generis photos of the eastside of Detroit and Highland Park.

Empowerment1s.jpg

EZoneHouse.jpg

RandomImage10.jpg

EZoneStripMall4.jpg

urbandecay2004detroitpic39.jpg

urbandecay2004detroitpic33.jpg

What is your definition of ghetto because these places hardly fit the bill with the exception being parts of Forest Park.

You do mean Decatur outside the Perimeter, right? And even that is a leap considering the amount of homes priced @ $250k+ all over southern DeKalb.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, yeah,... the City of Decatur, Ga. .. I know much of Dekalb Co. is pricey$$.. but u must havent been thru the "DEC" latley..

while you can't deny the desparity of Highland Park, Should it actually be considered a suburb, since it exists solely sourounded by the city of Detroit. It's really nothing more than a Neighborhoood with an independent city government.

I got fam in both Maywood, Illinois and Carol City, Florida. I wouldn't call CC a ghetto burb but I would Maywood. That city is messed up lol. Bellwood looks like it is heading that way too. I had some bad experiences in Maywood but eh.

Carol city like i said isnt really much of a ghetto to me. I would say Opa Locka is worse or even North Miami. Carol City has its bad parts though.

Miami's  Carol City  (The Ghettoburb USA)

Jacksonville - Yulee (c'mon, thats just plain ole ghetto)

Tampa -  Gibsonton (its kinda scary there, and not in a gun carrying thug sort of way)

Orlando - Apopka,.(there are just some places I dont go at night)

Atlanta - Decatur ( The Dec!)

Tallahassee - FAMU    No, No, Im kidding,.. wouldnt dare speak of my school in such a manner...  :rofl:

**Disclaimer: These are SUBURBAN cities outside of the urban core.. cuz my list would be alot longer...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well your school is going to get STOMPED on the 24th of sept by T T S S U

Detroit has more than Just Pontiac,

Try Highland Park, Southfield, and Just about anything downriver!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of Downriver is not ghetto.

Have you ever been to cities like Wyandotte, Trenton, Allen Park, Flat Rock, Woodhaven, Riverview, Southgate, etc. Sure there are areas of River Rouge, Ecorse, and Taylor that are depressing, and even Melvindale and Lincoln Park have areas that aren't that nice, but they are only a small part of Downriver. And none of them have areas of abandonment, let alone the largescale abandonment you see in Highland Park and parts of Detroit.

Houston has Greenspoint, which was a master-planned commercial development that never went anywhere and ended up with nothing but low-income apartments. It got the nickname "Gunspoint" in the early 90's. The mall there somehow survived over the years despite no one really living around it and stories of robberies, rapes and murders in the parking lots.

The Fondren Southwest area is more or less ghetto. Dilapidated apartment complexes which were built in the early 90's for Downtown and Med Center workers moving away from the central area. None ever really came though.

A couple of Hispanic suburban ghettos as well: pretty much the entire northside, the Park Place area, Gulfton, Aldine, Fairbanks on the northwest side.

Pasadena is more or less one big ghetto, at least the older sections.

There is also somewhat of a Vietnamese ghetto on the southeast side near Alameda Mall.

In Tucson, almost every neighborhood that could be considered ghetto is on the south side, especially the City of South Tucson, which also has a lot of drugs, prostitution and sleazy motels.

Detroit: Royal Oak TWP., Highland Park, Pontiac. Southfield still has some redeeming qualities to it and is a viable community though is gradually sliding toward the point of no return. Parts of Oak Park are sliding too. None of my comments have to to with racial makeups, rather economic slides. I'd also agree with many close-in downriver communities. Ghetto means many things. Viable communities seem to keep a solid base of residents(homeowners), businesses, and retail. My gauge seems to rely on the amout of check casshing and dollar stores however. :)

Peace

The houses in those pics of detroit... Why the hell are they even standing anymore, they should just be burned down, there is no point to them being there.

Different subject...

I'm from southern MN so I'm in the twin cities area a lot... while I don't go on many roads other than the highways, but I find myself exploring once in a while... ive never noticed any ghetto areas of the city. Where are they at? I know there has to be some.

The houses in those pics of detroit...  Why the hell are they even standing anymore, they should just be burned down, there is no point to them being there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because there are so many of them, they are a common site throughout Detroit's E-Zone, and abandoned houses in general are all over Detroit, the city went from over 2 million people in the 50's and 60's to just under 900,000 now. It's very sad because some of the abandoned and neglected buildings in Detroit are among the nicest and most ornate early 1900's architecture in the nation. And beyond that, the situation with people actually having to live in these neighborhoods :( . Several sites about abandoned buildings in Detroit:

detroit.com (click on "Tours the Ruins" at the top)

Forgotten Detroit

Forgotten Michigan

Detroit Pix (This one is my favorite, it focuses on not so high-profile buildings)

Hartford, CT has Bloomfield and Windsor

Originally these two towns were flocked to by people who made enough money in the city to move to the suburbs but these two towns border the city's north end which is infamous for crime (18th homicide of the year just occured two days ago and about 15 of these were in the north end) and soon people started spreading over into these two towns. Bloomfield now is about 75% black and Windsor is about 40% which may not be large but when compared to most of the other suburbs (about 1-10%) the number is large.

These towns used to have all American well known schools that eventually went down hill. The schools though are improving and just because they may be considered ghettos there are definitly numerous jobs and stores.

I have to make statement that the city of Hartford is an extremly unique city in that a large majority of the caucasian middle class moved out of the inner city to the suburbs leaving the city popualation to be comprised roughly as follows:

White/Non-Hispanic: 17.8%

Black: 38.1%

Hispanic: 40.1%

American Indian: 1.2%

Asian Indian: 0.5%

Other race: 26.5%

Cities such as Springfield, MA; Providence, Boston, New York, Albany, Bridgeport, CT; New Haven, CT; and Worcester cannot equal these statistics.

This is why many people who have lived in the Hartford area for many years, not on purpose, categorize less affluent suburbs as having a large percentage of minorites living in them.

Your trying to say white flight is unusual? It was very common from the 50's to the 70's and still is happening, to a lesser extent, today. If you want to talk stats:

Detroit-

White/Non-Hispanic: 10.5%

Black: 81.2%

Hispanic: 5.0%

American Indian: .3%

Asian: 1.0%

Other race: .2%

Highland Park ("ghetto burb")-

White/Non-Hispanic: 4.0%

Black: 93.1%

Hispanic: .6%

American Indian: .2%

Asian: 0.2%

Other race: .2%

So whats your point? I really don't grasp what you are trying to say with these stts, I could guess, but I'll give you the benifit of the doubt. Care to explain yourself?

Archived