Ghetto burbs

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit how Akron isn't a suburb of Cleveland, but it's in the metro area.

Or, how some places like Pleasanton, Dublin, Danville, and San Ramon are not really part of the Bay Area, but have nonetheless become suburbs of it and are now being marginally considered part of the Bay Area. Ok, I'll stop beating the dead horse now.

I hated it because the people were such snobs and ready to attack anything that seemed a bit different to them. I had a much better time when I lived in Tracy.

Yeah, I could see what you mean. I've always been a "different" type myself. I never lived there but always got the impression that that kind of thing was prevalent. Still, I had friends up in Pleasanton and we always had a good time. Most of them were car buddies (friends and the brother of the girl I was dating at the time), and there's quite a bit of "Kalifornia Kar Kulture" there. There was an excellent exhaust shop I liked over in Dublin too...wish I could have them put some pipes on my van.

Racine isn't a suburb, it has its own urban area and MSA. Racine and Milwaukee, due to a high commuter exchange combine to form a CSA, but Racine doesn't become a suburb just because it isn't the largest city in the CSA.

Okay, I stand corrected on a technicality: Racine is part of the Milwaukee CMSA, not the Milwaukee-Waukesha PSMA. You can deny it all you want, but Racine is STILL technically a suburb, and a ghetto one at that!

It's not a suburb, in any sense of the word. Also, the Census Bureau stopped using CMSA and PMSA years ago. The current standard is MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) and CSA (Combined Statistical Area).

Racine shares a CSA with Milwaukee, but Racine is NOT a suburb of Milwaukee, and never will be. In fact the city of Racine even predates the city of Milwaukee...

It's not a suburb, in any sense of the word. Also, the Census Bureau stopped using CMSA and PMSA years ago. The current standard is MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) and CSA (Combined Statistical Area).

Racine shares a CSA with Milwaukee, but Racine is NOT a suburb of Milwaukee, and never will be. In fact the city of Racine even predates the city of Milwaukee...

You can believe whatever you want, but Racine is still considered a suburb by the Census Bureau, even though it has its own urban core. To be sure, it is a "whole different world" than other suburbs, but they do get the Milwaukee media, and there is a large exchange of commuters each day. It does not seem like a suburb of Milwaukee; I never said it did. All I said was that the Census Bureau considered it as such. I have lived in the area for 15 years, so I believe I am qualified to speak about it. Have you lived in the area? If not, perhaps you should visit the area and see for yourself, instead of simply forming your opinions based on what you have read. This will be my last comment on the subject; I refuse to argue about it.

I'd love to know where you get your information, because I've never seen the Census Bureau define suburbs. However, they DO define principal cities, and Racine is the Principal City in the Racine, WI MSA, which encompasses Racine County.

Here, I'll even give you the Census Bureau's page outlining the different MSAs:

http://www.census.gov/population/www/estimates/metrodef.html

Also, the commuter rate between the city of Racine and the city of Milwaukee is not large. Only 3.8% of Racine workers commute to Milwaukee, while 54.1% of Racine workers work within the city of Racine. In comparison, Shorewood (which is a suburb of Milwaukee) sends 54.7% of its workers to Milwaukee, while only 13.2% work within their own city. Granted that's not how MSAs are defined, but you get the point.

The reason the Racine MSA is included with the Milwaukee-Racine-Waukesha, WI CSA is because 19.6% of the population of the Racine MSA (Racine County) commutes to the core of the Milwaukee MSA (Milwaukee County, Waukesha County, and Ozaukee County) The fact that it is combined with Milwaukee to form a larger Combined Statistical Area just means that Racine and its suburbs as well as Milwaukee and its suburbs have a moderate interchange of workers. It most definately does not imply that Racine is a suburb of Milwaukee.

In the same sense Baltimore is not a suburb of Washington, Flint is not a suburb of Detroit, Michigan City is not a suburb of Chicago, Worcester is not a suburb of Boston, Riverside is not a suburb of Los Angeles, Akron is not a suburb of Cleveland, San Francisco is not a suburb of San Jose, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I got fam in both Maywood, Illinois and Carol City, Florida. I wouldn't call CC a ghetto burb but I would Maywood. That city is messed up lol. Bellwood looks like it is heading that way too. I had some bad experiences in Maywood but eh.

Carol city like i said isnt really much of a ghetto to me. I would say Opa Locka is worse or even North Miami. Carol City has its bad parts though.

Shoot, Carol City is ghetto all the way around. I got fam in Miami and they'd look at you kind of funny if you said Carol City isn't much of a ghetto.

This thread is stupid and that goes for the person who created it... What does a "ghetto burb" have to do with anything on this forum? It has absolutly nothing to do with it... This is just pointless information and serve no purpose... It's funny how I hear people crying about how ethinic groups and social groups want to separate themselves from other groups and yet the very same people that does the most complaining about separation among groups of people are the very ones that are causing it with threads like this..

Archived