Carolina Force

gman430

According to WYFF, a new indoor arena football team will be coming to the Bi-Lo Center in March 2009. The teams name will be the "Carolina Force." The official announcement will be made next Monday. Let's see how long this one lasts. :rolleyes: I was hoping for a hockey team instead. Oh well. Maybe i'll get lucky and they'll actually market this team better than the Rhinos. One of the many reasons the Drive have been successful is because of good marketing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andre White says that the franchise will have low prices... $17 is a little high for this brand of MLFB IMO. The Force will play in the AIFA's South Division, along with the AIFA defending champion Florence Phantoms, the Columbus Lions, the Fayetteville Guard and the Carolina Speed... Carolina Force and Carolina Speed? What genius thought of this? We'll be playing with teams from Huntington,WV and Florence; not to mention Fayettnam! Hmmm... http://www.aifaprofootball.com/

$17 seems like a lot of money. Maybe it's just because I'm in college, but I think I'll have a hard time finding people to go with a price tag like that. I will definitely be planning on checking them out at some point, but I think I'm spoiled with the prices at the Drive games...

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I am keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for the return of minor league hockey to Greenville. Hopefully they will have a better name than the Grrrowl this time. Ideally, it will be something tangible (not a noise).

Second, whatever comes to the Bi-Lo Center needs to have LOW ticket prices and make most of their money on concessions. If they charge $5 for tickets ($10 max), promote the team like crazy, and embrace it as a family friendly event they will have great attendance. Charging $15 or $20 for tickets is not going to work for minor league sports.

First of all, I am keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for the return of minor league hockey to Greenville. Hopefully they will have a better name than the Grrrowl this time. Ideally, it will be something tangible (not a noise).

Second, whatever comes to the Bi-Lo Center needs to have LOW ticket prices and make most of their money on concessions. If they charge $5 for tickets ($10 max), promote the team like crazy, and embrace it as a family friendly event they will have great attendance. Charging $15 or $20 for tickets is not going to work for minor league sports.

I heard that last week as well. It sounds as though arena football is on its way out completely, unless the economy turns around. Honestly, I would be far more interested in a hockey franchise in Greenville, but it would be nice to have an arena football team as well.

Incidentally, even pro sports are suffering from the present economic condition. NFL and MLB have laid off lots of people recently. I hear that both major and minor league hockey will suffer as well.

^^

Yea, but it's only 7 events per year (out of a 14-game season), maybe more if your team makes the playoffs. I'm sure the Bi-Lo Center could have booked 7 other events that would possibly have drawn more people.

I would definitely agree that extending or changing the trolley route on SC Force game days would help encourage more people to park downtown and ride the trolley and thereby increase the odds that they may do other shopping/dining while downtown. Otherwise, without the trolley, people would be more likely to just pop in and out of town and park adjacent to the Bi-Lo Center and not provide any additional patronage to anybody else. That'd be my natural tendancy, at least.

Ultimately, whatever development does go up on the old auditorium site should definitely include some dining options and provide for some connectivity to downtown, but that's another topic thread altogether. For now, here's to hoping the trolley routes change on game days.

Archived