Who will Bush pardon?

Charlotteman

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They were Border Patrol agents, near El Paso TX, that saw a guy crossing the border illegally. He was a drug smuggler and was bringing a bunch of weed into the US. He refused to stop obviously, until the two Border Patrol guys shot him. And then it turns out the smuggler was unarmed, but a van he drove had 800 pounds of weed in the back. The two guards will spend a little over the next decade in prison, and they have become martyrs in the battle against illegal immigration.

That about sums it up, and they should be pardoned in my opinion. The guy was clearly a drug smuggler and was breaking the law. When law enforcement issues an order to you, you must follow that order.

Other than that, I hope he forgets to do it to his own administration b/c I want them to fry for the mess they've put us in. :angry:

^There are very specific laws regarding the use of deadly force by law enforcement. it is almost never legal to shoot someone unless there is a clear, immediate threat to human life. The fact that the guy didn't follow the order to stop doesn't change the law.

The next time a cop pulls you over for speeding, do you want him sending bullets through your rear window because you don't stop fast enough for his liking?

^There are very specific laws regarding the use of deadly force by law enforcement. it is almost never legal to shoot someone unless there is a clear, immediate threat to human life. The fact that the guy didn't follow the order to stop doesn't change the law.

The next time a cop pulls you over for speeding, do you want him sending bullets through your rear window because you don't stop fast enough for his liking?

^Apples and apples. the laws regarding use of deadly force are what they are, and the nature of the suspected crime doesn't change that fact. Unless this smuggler's actions were an immediate, direct threat to someone else's life, it was a criminal act for the agents to shoot him. The decision to lock them up was a sound one, and they should serve out their sentences.

On what grounds do you feel they deserve a pardon?

I've heard that the former governor of Louisiana, Edwin Edwards, has requested a pardon. In this case, I think that Mr. Edwards has served enough time and might safely be allowed out of prison. I think he is 83 years old and has been in prison for six years or so. I'm not excusing his actions- truly brazen indeed, but a pardon in this case might be the right thing to do.

Archived