Greenville will possibly be hosting the ACC baseball tournament

Greenville

Just saw a Greenville News article stating that Greenville has submitted a bid to host the ACC baseball tournament for three years beginning in 2011. Based on the article, they seem to be fairly deep into the process and are one of several finalists.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...SPORTS/81124019

This would be great for the city if we can land this. Downtown Greenville is a perfect venue, and would bring people to our city who have never been (or at least have not been in many years).

I hope the Confederate flag and NAACP boycott does not hinder us. Slightly off-topic question: would it be possible for the city and/or county of Greenville to release a statement opposing the Confederate flag as well as the state's decision to keep it atop the state house grounds? I know it wouldn't solve the problem on a state level, but it would certainly show potential tournament venues that Greenville is a victim of the state government's stupid policies rather than a supporter of them. Thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw this, too. I hope Greenville can land it. Three years of hosting the event would be absolutely huge!

With the huge impact that the ballpark has on the West End, I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen more hotel interest in the West End. Riverplace counts, but it's still very much tied to the City Center district.

Good luck, Greenville!

I just saw this, too. I hope Greenville can land it. Three years of hosting the event would be absolutely huge!

With the huge impact that the ballpark has on the West End, I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen more hotel interest in the West End. Riverplace counts, but it's still very much tied to the City Center district.

Good luck, Greenville!

I think the corner across Main from the ballpark would be perfect for a mixed use development, including a hotel. I know that Elgin Body Shop has been for sale for a while, and hope that whoever buys it will make that corner something special. An urban design, 4-6 stories, with a hotel, a few restaurants/bars, and perhaps even a few condos would be amazing!

• 3 weeks later...
I hope the Confederate flag and NAACP boycott does not hinder us. Slightly off-topic question: would it be possible for the city and/or county of Greenville to release a statement opposing the Confederate flag as well as the state's decision to keep it atop the state house grounds? I know it wouldn't solve the problem on a state level, but it would certainly show potential tournament venues that Greenville is a victim of the state government's stupid policies rather than a supporter of them. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
You're possibly right - a statement from the city and/or county of Greenville probably wouldn't hurt in the NAACP's eyes; however, this whole debate over that flag has puzzled me. It's part of our nation's heritage, after all, whether we like it or not. Some people get that. It could be worse ... the State House could be hoisting these.

The Gadsden flag (the "Don't Tread on Me" flag) is WAY COOL! Research its history, which is fascinating and a source of S.C. pride since Gen. Christopher Gadsden, who designed it and for whom it is named, was a South Carolinian. Wikipedia notes: "For historical reasons, the flag is still popularly flown in Charleston, South Carolina, being the city where Christopher Gadsden first presented the flag, and where it was commonly used during the Revolution . . "

Archived