PROPOSED: Watkinson Center for Science and Global Citizenship

The Voice of Reason

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news7311.html?Type=search

School officials say the $2 million science and citizenship building will be the first of its kind on the eastern seaboard. Construction is scheduled to begin in spring, and the building is set to open in August, in time for fall 2009 classes.

Another nice example of Hartfords institutions getting the job done.

I am not sure how much this will affect anything in the North End, but the schools growth can only be a good thing in my opinion. combined with UHarts increased expansion south, progress is being made.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news7311.html?Type=search

School officials say the $2 million science and citizenship building will be the first of its kind on the eastern seaboard. Construction is scheduled to begin in spring, and the building is set to open in August, in time for fall 2009 classes.

Another nice example of Hartfords institutions getting the job done.

I am not sure how much this will affect anything in the North End, but the schools growth can only be a good thing in my opinion. combined with UHarts increased expansion south, progress is being made.

Hartford Courant

Courant.com

Connecticut Property Line

Latest In Green Technology Coming To Watkinson School

By THERESA SULLIVAN BARGER

Special to The Courant

December 2, 2008

Internationally educated architect Mark Miller figured there had to be a better way to build schools with the latest green technology, thought by some to help improve student performance, and build them faster and cheaper.

The Watkinson School in Hartford is about to test Miller's theory.

The preparatory school will be the first on the East Coast to use a Lego-like, life-size modular building system developed by Miller's company, Project FROG Inc. After more than two years of research and testing, Project FROG promises modular structures that are "better, greener, faster, cheaper" than comparable standard construction certified by the U.S. Green Building Council.

Watkinson's new Center for Science & Global Citizenship will occupy the 4,000-square-foot modular building, which is expected to be ready next fall. The $2 million structure will contain three classrooms and could be built in just six weeks this summer

• 2 weeks later...

Rendering of Finished Building

zoom_news493611_399018.jpg

I really like it. I think it's very cool and futuristic looking and it's definitely a plus to be getting such a cutting edge building in the city.

Watkinson School

New Center for Science and Global Citizenship

11/19/2008

Every aspect of this new Center for Science and Global Citizenship will be a teaching tool. Project FROG has set the industry standard for smart buildings

• 1 month later...

Archived