Orlando Discussion Thread

prahaboheme

I figured that maybe we could start a new thread to just bring up random events or ideas about Orlando, or happenings around town. I'd be interested in what other people have to post, and hopefully vice versa. Anyway, this idea spawned from the fact that I went to The Bosendorfer Lounge at the Grande Bohemian Hotel and had a wonderful time and thought I would share. It is truly a magnificant place, if you haven't been you don't know what you are missing, there's nothing even close to it in Orlando. The piano is wonderful, and there was a great vocal set as well as an acid jazz dj on saturday night...highly recommended. Hopefully Orlando will continue to get more sophisticated places to go out in the next few years.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

i finally made it to dmac orlando tonight. saw a russian film...the venue was nice. while the downstairs of the rogers building is the same w/ the coffee house/gallery, the upstairs has been converted to a theatre.

it's really nothing special. just some chairs around a screen (has that independent movie house artsy feel) but worth it. The enzian is still better but dmac is a nice alternative, especially when a good movie is playing.

also, here are some clippings on nightlife and bars from the sentinel's nightlife dude. i can't sleep, and am sober, hence...surfing the net at 3am!!

"Ownership of downtown sin-bin Knock Knock changed hands two weeks ago,

but I'm still gauging what effect the switch will have on one of my favorite late-night hangouts. (Where else does one find a d

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone looking for a classy gay/mixed bar needs to check out the new bar, Pulse on Orange Ave, just a mile or so south of DT... my review is kinda mixed though, because I'm more into the trashier places (Parliament House ;) ).

I went a few Saturdays ago, and after required valet parking, and waiting in a 45 minute (and growing) line to get in the club, it sucked to find out it wasn't really my scene... Seemed like a velvet rope South Beach, NYC club crowd, but gay. It was WAY too crowded and loud for the Euro-chic style of bar it is, and though I was quite stylish, I felt very underdressed. But still, it's very stylish and chic, and the interior decor is to die for. I'd love to go check it out again, but I'll wait until the newness fades a little and the crowds die down some.

i thought Taste was pretty fun. You have to go with a cool group of friends (or family) who don't mind sharing though! The food was good, w/o a doubt.

As for Pulse, was supposed to go on Friday, but never made it. Will check it out soon.

Taste is EXCELLENT! I know the owner. Also for those of you whom are into this sort of thing, they have a dinner and show on Thursdays. Its sort of a dress up Cabaret show for the gay boys. Just though I would drop a little advertising for her....

I went to Pulse a few weeks ago, my friend is a bartender there so I got a little VIP treatment and the VIP room rocks. I sort of felt like they are trying to hard, there are clubs I am used to in Boston (where I go to school) that have the ambiance that Pulse is striving for and do it much better, as well as the best gay club in the world, ManRay. But I think over time it will sort of own its image better.

go info on the Taste thing, I'll check it out before I leave. I'm excited that Orlando is sort of growing up, nightlife wise...its about time!

• 2 weeks later...

finally made it to Pulse this past Friday. Had a good time...was pleasantly surprised by the bathroom in white room and overall, I think it's good addition to the scene. It was packed, and while the hype is sure to die, it was nice to see it being $upported.

Look for another new gay bar to open on Ivanhoe (giving Lava some competition but farther north) in the next month or so.

• 1 month later...

yeah -- lava's a cool place. (i live right up the road). it looked packed on friday.

went to Savoy (www.savoyorlando.com) on friday. it's right up the road past White Wolf and pretty cool too. A nice addition...different atmosphere than lava, but very cool.

on sat, went to my first ever UCF football game (not an alum), and believe it or not, was pretty fun. afterwards, headed dt.

speaking of nightlife, has there been any more talks on changing the curfew from 2am to later? I really think the 2am last call is hurting the city. When I would go to clubs back there, they wouldn't even really fill up till around 1am, then everyone had to turn around and go home at 2am. Anyone heard any updates on this issue?

• 4 weeks later...

In the up-coming months you can look for a complete resurfacing of the buildings on Rosaland across from the Post Office. The faces will change to Art Deco and they will house an upscale restaurant as well as a seperate Lounge/Pool hall. The lounge/Pool hall is being opened by the same owners at the highly successful Lodge and Room 39 bars/restaurant. Should be completed sometime near the end of 2004.

Archived