Orlando Discussion Thread

prahaboheme

Just my two cents.... nice to know there are still a few of us native Floridians left.

But I have to also add -- I love how all the newer arrivals are putting some life back into our city, too!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the corrections. So you're a real cracker! I was born in Orange Memorial and 1 of my 3 kids were born in Orlando. The other two started elsewhere when I was in the military. My Parents weren't born here but I have several old ancestors who as Carolina English colonist gave the Spanish some hard times. One was killed by indians near a spanish fort near Tallahassee. Another was arrested by the Spanish and did two years in Castillo de San Marco in St Augustine. He was later released and went back to South Carolina.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, those are fascinating stories. It's wonderful that that history was passed down to you. I love those old stories...

Thanks for the corrections.  So you're a real cracker!  I was born in Orange Memorial and 1 of my 3 kids were born in Orlando.  The other two started elsewhere when I was in the military.  My Parents weren't born here but I have several old ancestors who as Carolina English colonist gave the Spanish some hard times.  One was killed by indians near a spanish fort near Tallahassee.  Another was arrested by the Spanish and did two years in Castillo de San Marco in St Augustine.  He was later released and went back to South Carolina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last couple of posts, about Orlando's founding fathers are pretty interesting. I agree that it would be in the city's best interest to promote its unique history, by adding monuments in public spaces around downtown. Currently, most people only know Orlando for its tourist attractions, south of town. Using elements, such as grand statues, would be a great way to learn more about the actually city of Orlando. Naming the new Parramore Park after Zora Neal Hurston also sounds pretty good. Maybe some of you guys need to run for office down there.

Is anyone going to the "Pre-Vue Reception" next Tuesday at Rhythm & Flow?

Here's some info from the www.hearmyhandshappenings.org website:

The VUE has donated at $400,000 condo to local charities to be raffled off on April 17th. Come out and purchase your VUE ticket at this special event on February 22nd

Tuesday, Feb 22nd

Archived