Any desire for "hard lofts" in downtown GR?

GRDadof3

Hard lofts being essentially warehouse condominiums with minimal or no interior walls, or what some call "artists lofts" going back to NYC in the 1970's. Just finished floors, brick walls (maybe with peeling paint left intact), upgraded mechanical (high efficiency), and stubs for a kitchen and bathrooms. Maybe a rooftop garden, wind turbines, etc..

Possibly in the below $80/sf range. Are there still people who wish to own downtown instead of rent, if the price is right? It could also work for commercial use.

locations_clip_image037_0000.jpg

2482779419_c9fb9d7223.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard the guy that owns the building makes bankoff that cell phone tower and doesn't plan on doing anything with it unless he gets a big offer. I used to work for campus security at the Pew campus and I remember seeing Salvation Army trucks using the loading docks so it must also be rented out as storage space. I'm really surprised GVSU hasn't snatched that building and converted it into more student housing or space for a new/expanded department.

Hey GRDadof3, what is the story with that huge building on the SW corner of Wealthy and 131? I take it the developer never got the Ren Zone status he needed to make the project feasible? Whats going to happen now, if anything? That might be a good space for these open loft spaces.

The open spaces would be great as long as you didn't have roomates. I wouldn't need a basement for my band with space like that. The other great this is that it leaves endless options for people to rearrange furniture and create a whole new feel to the loft whenever they got bored with it. Plus its great for entertaining and parties.

The open spaces would be great as long as you didn't have roomates. I wouldn't need a basement for my band with space like that. The other great this is that it leaves endless options for people to rearrange furniture and create a whole new feel to the loft whenever they got bored with it. Plus its great for entertaining and parties.

I definitely agree that raw spaces would be in demand. Varied square footage would make it marketable. Some of us are looking to downsize and get away from that 3000+ number.

As for the Klingman's warehouse, I think with the new ownership the warehouse has been moved to Israel's Seward Ave properties. But yes a huge building.

Absolutely, something like that would be of interest. I know a couple people who would love a place like that. It seems that so many of the warehouse conversions leave only the exposed ductwork and a short wall of brick, then carve up and drywall the rest to death.

If I were to buy into any 'urban' condo building downtown, this is exactly the only type of project I would be interested in. I want the ability to completely customize my layout with basic stubs (Kitchen, bathroom) and thats it. Otherwise, I'm going to buy a stand alone unit (aka house)

Funny, before I was in the market for a place - about 10-11 years ago, this is exactly the kind of space I had in mind. I don't belive there was anything readily available with residential zoning back then - would have likely had to make it work on my own somehow. Bought a house instead. If I were in the market (sans my current mortgage) I'd totally be into a space like this today too!

*fish

Archived