Pappas Properties Proposal for Thermal Trash Plant

monsoon

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's nice for a suburban area like Lenox, Westhaven or Pleasant View...but.. I hope Pappas is planning something more urban for the Thermal site. Personally, I do not like the fact that Pappas wants the city to give them the land and is still asking for public assistance. The tower proposal is completely private funding, unless a stadium is added. The stadium is needed downtown and Pappas doesn't include that in their proposal. IMHO, the tower is the best land use.(Nevermidn the design) It would include just as much residential plus retail/office space and could still have room for a stadium. It's like a 2 for one deal.

The same problem is occuring between Sleiman and Jacksonville over funding for the Landing in downtown. I think that private investors need to provide the finances themselves first, then ask for assistance if it is going to be a public place that will help the city.

I visited the Pappas website and looked at the variety of styles they've developed. They seem to be a talented and diverse group. I'm not sure I'd want a Birkdale Village downtown, but it does look really good. It seems similar to what's planned for Green Hills, Franklin, Brentwood, or Hendersonville. If they would emulate some of the better, older school types of urban architecture, I'd love to see what they could come up with.

If their proposal isn't chosen for this site, I certainly hope they'll be involved in others in the downtown area even bringing their current proposal to another site closeby. Thermal is not the only "vacant lot" downtown.

They do good stuff. Let's just hope surface parking is kept to an absolute minimum.

Archived