Origins of "G-Vegas"

Folks, I do not live in Greenville, and so forgive me if this issue has already been discussed in another thread--

What is the origins of Greenville's nickname, "G-Vegas"?

I must admit I am quite perplexed by it for a number of reasons:

1) Greenville bears absolutely NO resemblance to Las Vegas (thank God) physically

2) Greenville is certainly not the kind of place where one would say "What happens in Greenville . . . stays in Greenville"

3) Greenville is not about glitz, gambling, showgirls, neon lights, the Rat Pack, legal prostitution, extravagance, tackiness, etc.

4) Is it an attempt at irony because Greenville is such the opposite of Las Vegas?

What gives?

-Thoroughly confused South Carolinian who has visited and admired Greenville for years

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Folks, I do not live in Greenville, and so forgive me if this issue has already been discussed in another thread--

What is the origins of Greenville's nickname, "G-Vegas"?

I must admit I am quite perplexed by it for a number of reasons:

1) Greenville bears absolutely NO resemblance to Las Vegas (thank God) physically

2) Greenville is certainly not the kind of place where one would say "What happens in Greenville . . . stays in Greenville"

3) Greenville is not about glitz, gambling, showgirls, neon lights, the Rat Pack, legal prostitution, extravagance, tackiness, etc.

4) Is it an attempt at irony because Greenville is such the opposite of Las Vegas?

What gives?

-Thoroughly confused South Carolinian who has visited and admired Greenville for years

Well, since you asked....

http://www.thehistorybluff.com/2008/11/gre...bling-industry/

:whistling:

Seriously, Greenville used to have a rep for being a little more wild under the surface than some realize now. For example, there was a certain building 1 block from Main St. housing a brothel as late as the 60's, or so I heard. Gambling dens too. Plenty of moonshine floating the town too.

Plenty of people looking the other way as long as it stayed quiet.

I never heard that term G-Vegas until the past couple of years though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived