Where do I buy a...

joeDowntown

In the spirit of the holidays, global economic destruction and my desire to shop locally (but never knowing where to go), I thought it would be interesting to start a new topic to help find items sold by local, independent shops.

SO...

I'm looking for a good waffle iron (Christmas present). Anyone have any thoughts on where to by them locally (downtown / uptown area preferred but beggars can't be choosers :).

Thanks!

Joe

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking for a good waffle iron (Christmas present). Anyone have any thoughts on where to by them locally (downtown / uptown area preferred but beggars can't be choosers :).

A few ideas:

Decker & Sons

Rylee's

Ball Park/Nawara Brothers

Art of the Table--long shot, but maybe

Where do I buy a nice, solid, safe tricycle for a 2 year old for under $60. I'd prefer to shop local and not at Toys R Us, Target, etc.

Try Freewheeler (on Leonard west of Alpine). This is conjecture, as I don't recall all the demographics of the rolling stock.

Another option: Craigslist or the thrifts. Trikes are outgrown very quickly, and they get passed along/handed down/resold. Thrifts have wheels for less than $10, trikes are probably less than $5. Likely a beginner won't care that it isn't brand spankin' new; spend some money on a horn and streamers.

If you'd asked a few months ago, I'd have sent you to the yard sales...

I'm looking to stitch a few (4-5) photos together into a panorama and get it printed and framed. Since I don't have the software to do it at home where would be the best place to go? kinkos, meijer?

Kinko's. They have photo editing software (could be Photoshop) on their design station machines.

(really hates the name FedEx Office...the place is Kinko's, dammit!)

Try Storr Printing on Cherry. Always quick and cheap.

Yeah, that's one of the two places I requested a quote from last night. First thing this morning I got a quote back and they were cheaper than the quote I got online from Office Depot by a couple of dollars and they were cheaper than the quote from Kinko's by almost $20!!! And, she offered to fold them for free this time since I'm a new customer.

I'll be sending the file over there later today.

...Whitecaps merch?

(It's for a secret santa giftee; figured a T-shirt would be fun)

Their gift shop is open during normal business hours on weekdays, but I know that's not convenient for you. You might give them a call and see if they can tell you. Seems like a few of the Meijers in the area might have them. https://www.what-if.com/SECURE/whitecaps2/

Was going to post a request for leads...a small lightweight sign with a nice design and MERRY CHRISTMAS on it.

Yes, I could run to Kinko. Yes, I could find a decorative gift bag, cut the sign out, and take that to Kinko...oh, wait, I can't find hardly anything with the M----- C-------- wording. Was thinking about a hand-written (fabric paint) ribbon for a craft project.

But salvation (heh) came in the form of a 99-cent thing found at the SA thrift.

In sum, if you can't find it at a new retailer, try a reseller.

Where can I find a uniquely Michigan gift? No picture books. I want something relatively small, perhaps edible. Cherry jams? Maple sugar sweets?

Going to Europe and I want to represent the home state.

Art of the Table has some great Michigan blueberry food items, along with other unique items.

• 1 month later...

Can anybody recommend a cigar store? Need to pick some up as a gift, I was going to head to Siciliano's (since I can also get beer for myself there) but I'm thinking there might be somewhere with a better selection.

There is Buffalo Tobacco Traders on E. Fulton, across from Van's Bakery near Diamond Ave.

Also, Martha's Vineyard at Union and Lyon has a good sized humidor up on the second floor. I've not actually been inside.

Anybody know where in GR I can find a) fresh veggie tamales b) veggie empanadas (preferably the kind you can get by the dozen, not a dish like San Chez serves) and/or c) King Cake or other Mardi Gras food fixins?

I need a little southern flavor up north! Thanks!

Archived