CityVille/Block 121 mixed-use project

Dystopos

Today's "Business briefs" in the Birmingham news showed a "Cityville Development Partners LLC" purchasing "Block 121" (1st & 2nd Ave S, 20th & 21st St) for $4.3 million. According to the article, they are planning "a 2.5-acre retail and residential apartment community."

I suppose this means that Corporate Realty Development's plans for a Hyatt Place hotel and mixed-use tower have been scuttled.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's "Business briefs" in the Birmingham news showed a "Cityville Development Partners LLC" purchasing "Block 121" (1st & 2nd Ave S, 20th & 21st St) for $4.3 million. According to the article, they are planning "a 2.5-acre retail and residential apartment community."

I suppose this means that Corporate Realty Development's plans for a Hyatt Place hotel and mixed-use tower have been scuttled.

I think it is for the best. It would be much better if we simply wait until we get an actual Hyatt Regency instead rather than a Hyatt Place hotel like Hoover.

• 3 months later...

I realize that this was only a couple of months ago, but is the "Block 121" project still on board to come or are they too waiting on the Railroad Park?

• 11 months later...

The $35 million project at Block 121 has begun with the demolition of existing buildings on the block. The CityVille mixed-use project will include 256 upscale apartments, 22,000 sq ft of retail space and restaurants, and a 360-space parking deck. Developers hope to complete the project, which should complement the nearby Hyatt Place project (20th St and 4th Ave S), by spring or summer of 2010. The city helped the tenants in the existing buildings, which included Scott's Koneys and FedEx/Kinko's, find other downtown locations.

Nice project for midtown!

Long-delayed building project near UAB starts demolition

Project fact sheet:

Block.121.Fact.Sheet.pdf

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The irony of this development is that Inland American Communities Group, Inc. already have the University House Birmingham development nearly 6 blocks to the west along 2nd Avenue and 14th Street, so this shouldn't be anything new for them. As a matter of fact, after reading up about this development, it sounds like a compliation of what University House and regular loft development would be.

They've started moving dirt on the site because yesterday afternoon I saw the bulldozers and graters doing some major preliminary work.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Cityville Block 121 is almost complete.

Does anyone have photos to share?

According to the article below, Momma Goldberg's and McKee's Irish Pub are leasing some of the available ground floor commercial space. The apartments were more than 70% leased in March.

Cityville Block 121 adds Momma Goldberg's Deli and McKee's Irish Pub

• 2 months later...

Archived