PROPOSED: Dye House Apartments

The Voice of Reason

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it sounds good from what I just read. It's a little less than half of the units and there even that has 2 tiers. I think Konover has a proven enough track record to trust them. I doubt it'll even be noticeable. Do you have any pictures of the building?

PZC member Joseph Diminico called the application a “home run” and said the choice is between allowing the property to deteriorate further or seizing the moment to restore it. “To just leave the building the way it is, I think, would be a great disservice,” he said.

Commission member Salvatore Mancini said he agreed with Diminico. “This one building stands alone in an area that’s already been developed,” Mancini said.

190 Pine St.

DyeHouse.jpg

I do not have pictures, but I could easily get them on the weekend.

I take it as entirely low income

"One quarter, or 15, of the Dye House apartments would be set aside for people at or below 25 percent of the region's median income, project Development Manager Jim Carter told the commission.

Fifteen percent of the apartments would go to people at or below 50 percent of that median income, and almost all the rest would go to those earning up to 60 percent of the median income, Carter said."

Median houshold income in Manchester CT is $49426

for the county its only slightly higher. Using $50,000 follow my thoughts.

I took that as 15 units for people earning 25% or less of the areas median income. So, 15 units of extremely low income families. So thats families earning 12,500 or less a year.

Then 15% or 9 units earning between 50% and 26% of the area median income or earning between $25,000 and $12,499 per anum.

and 60% of the units, or 33 units with families earning 60% or less, so that 33 units earning less than $30,000

Now, I can totally understand earning in the 30,000 range, because working at a grocery store or in retail can be pretty rough, and all. but based on the brakedown I am guessing those 25%-50% units will average closer to 25%

Well managed low income housing can be a benefit to the area, but I just worry that with all the 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom units there will be a lot of families living on these low incomes and that can put a strain on the area.

but I surely can snap a bunch of pics some day soon

I do not have pictures, but I could easily get them on the weekend.

I take it as entirely low income

"One quarter, or 15, of the Dye House apartments would be set aside for people at or below 25 percent of the region's median income, project Development Manager Jim Carter told the commission.

Fifteen percent of the apartments would go to people at or below 50 percent of that median income, and almost all the rest would go to those earning up to 60 percent of the median income, Carter said."

Median houshold income in Manchester CT is $49426

for the county its only slightly higher. Using $50,000 follow my thoughts.

I took that as 15 units for people earning 25% or less of the areas median income. So, 15 units of extremely low income families. So thats families earning 12,500 or less a year.

Then 15% or 9 units earning between 50% and 26% of the area median income or earning between $25,000 and $12,499 per anum.

and 60% of the units, or 33 units with families earning 60% or less, so that 33 units earning less than $30,000

Now, I can totally understand earning in the 30,000 range, because working at a grocery store or in retail can be pretty rough, and all. but based on the brakedown I am guessing those 25%-50% units will average closer to 25%

Well managed low income housing can be a benefit to the area, but I just worry that with all the 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom units there will be a lot of families living on these low incomes and that can put a strain on the area.

but I surely can snap a bunch of pics some day soon

Thanks, I missed that last part. So essentially it is a low income development. We'll just have to watch how it plays out. Hopefully the restoration job and even the new residents end up being a positive thing.

Thanks, I missed that last part. So essentially it is a low income development. We'll just have to watch how it plays out. Hopefully the restoration job and even the new residents end up being a positive thing.

I dont know if you have ever been over to the mills in manchester, but its a damn sizable residential complex. I really would love to see the last building or two developed (there are 3)

My concern is that this part of manchester, I will call it old manchester is at a crossroads. the main street has piles of potential, and there are hundreds of pretty houses and streets etc, but most of the area is "low rent" Just east of Main street is definately low rent and at risk of slipping further. the area that includes the mills, and the mansions along forest street/Hartford road are kind of like a stronghold of middle class. The areas immediately North of the mills are even a little on the lower side. I am afraid that if they put in low income housing here it could put a spike right in the heart of the middle class area, and ultimately hurt the area.

The thing that makes all of this kind of suspect is that Konover seems to be doing this just for the federal and state aid. and as far as manchester is concerned it han no real need for the project except to save the building. so, why bother? Manchester has just about the best tax base around and is really kind of a wealthy town due to the buckland area. I would love to see the town invest all that money into bringing main street back to its full potential.

without any exaturation manchesters downtown could easily rival West Hartford

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This should move forward very soon.

They got their government cheese.

I run near this building several times a week, so be sure that if something starts to happen I will supply pictures.

still not so sure about low income housing in this location. It does however seem that Manchester has no problem putting low income housing near the historic center and keep it away from the sprawley housing developments and strip malls.

the p[otential of this town is phenominal. I would say the potential is as great as or greater than middletown.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-housing...0,4321079.storyFour low-income housing developments that were put on hold around the state because of the recession will be restarted thanks to a $34 million award Friday by the U.S. Department of the Treasury.

"It will take four projects off the drawing boards and get them going," Bannon said.

The projects are:

• 8 months later...

This project is not just oficially in progress, its jamming right along.

I moved away from my Manchester condo that was near by, but last weekend did my final move out. when I went by this building you could se it is allready fully gutted and there were crews and lifts and all kinds of action!.

I might just have to drive back over there 1 more time before closing and bring the camera!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I checked in on this project Thanksgiging morning while at the Road race.

the building looks GREAT. ok well it looks like all the other buildings, but they do look great, and the bead down version of this building was not too pretty.

I can only assume it will be opening soon.

Good stuff. I actually live in Manchester now. I'll have to drive by and take a look. Maybe take some pics.

Archived