LinkedIn Urban Planet Grand Rapids Group?

Parhelion

I'm a young professional, and, while I abhor facebook and myspace, I have found LinkedIn to be a valuable networking tool. If you have a profile on LinkedIn, you can belong to certain groups (for example, the Grand Rapids Young Professionals Group). I searched for a LinkedIn Urban Planet Grand Rapids Group, and was surprised to see that there was not such a group.

What are your thoughts on having a LinkedIn Urban Planet Grand Rapids Group? Do you think it would detract from this discussion? I like the anonymity of the group discussions here, but think it would be fun to connect on a 'real name/profession' basis. For example, you won't necessarily know who 'Parhelion' is in the LinkedIn universe. However, many professionals who are interested in urban renewal may be able to connect via that forum.

Please let me know your thoughts. If anyone wants to set up the group who knows how to put a logo up (you can have a logo that shows at the bottom of personal profiles), please feel free to do so.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh. Costs money.

I'm on Facebook, and we have a Cyburbia group there. And there are many additional quasi-professional groups and event listings, such as neighborhood assns, civic groups, and the like.

On Meetup is a group that mirrors the Lunch & Learns on here. (It needs to wake back up!)

I'm a young professional, and, while I abhor facebook and myspace, I have found LinkedIn to be a valuable networking tool. If you have a profile on LinkedIn, you can belong to certain groups (for example, the Grand Rapids Young Professionals Group). I searched for a LinkedIn Urban Planet Grand Rapids Group, and was surprised to see that there was not such a group.

What are your thoughts on having a LinkedIn Urban Planet Grand Rapids Group? Do you think it would detract from this discussion? I like the anonymity of the group discussions here, but think it would be fun to connect on a 'real name/profession' basis. For example, you won't necessarily know who 'Parhelion' is in the LinkedIn universe. However, many professionals who are interested in urban renewal may be able to connect via that forum.

Please let me know your thoughts. If anyone wants to set up the group who knows how to put a logo up (you can have a logo that shows at the bottom of personal profiles), please feel free to do so.

I was just curious. There is a LinkedUp Grand Rapids group on linkedin that is kickin', but I guess I thought it'd be fun to make business contacts with some of the interesting UP'ers that seem to be out there. . . . :) So, if you're out there on linkedin, please join LinkedUp Grand Rapids!

ETA: Linked in is free; you can upgrade to all this weird stuff, but I personally don't see the need to do so.

Archived