South Carolina ARRA Stimulus Funding

gman430

Nearly $850 million in state infrastructure projects are ready to be contracted if the federal government sends stimulus funds to the state, including $200 million in projects in Lexington, Richland, Calhoun and Sumter counties, according to the S.C. Department of Transportation. The SCDOT estimates 2,000-3,000 new highway construction jobs would be created from this package if approved. Right now, the list has $850 million in projects, including $100 million for statewide interstate resurfacing, another $100 million for statewide road resurfacing and $13.57 million for other statewide projects, such as interstate signs and traffic signals. This would be the perfect time to say that I wish the state would raise the gas tax. <_< How low does gas have to be before they would raise it? Here is a news article on this proposed stimulus package: http://www.scbizmag.com/content/view/98680/1/

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday on NPR Gov. Mark Sanford was being interviewed, he was taking the position that SC should NOT request any money. It would be interesting if the infrastructure bill is passed what his reaction would be - or would he attempt to stop any funds based solely on his own 'principle'? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122670755063129989.html

The stimulus package is for projects that are ready to go, or just about ready to go. There is some talk that there could be two or three packages- one for projects that are ready to go, one for projects to be ready within 1 year, and the another for projects to be ready within 2 years. Nothing is certain yet. I suspect that the 385 widening is not on the radar yet.

I haven't heard what types of projects SC is requesting, so if any of you know of projects in your respective cities or counties please share!

While I very much agree with Gov. Sanford on his argument/principle of not taking federal money for these projects, for bailouts and quick fixes, if Congress is going to pass a bill allocating money out to the states, I want South Carolina to get its fair share. For what its worth, NC's governor-elect is talking about doing one at the state level. I have to applaud teh governor's fiscally responsible stance, but the tide is not going his way so he needs to get on board.

I would expect very unsexy road projects, but important nonetheless. Bridges, intersections, resurfacing & some road widenings. Basically anything cheap enough to receive funding for planning on a regular DOT budget.

Update - here is an article about some possible projects: http://www.charlestonbusiness.com/news/258...ulus-funds-come

But good news for SC - John Spratt heads the House Budget Committe.

Here is another good story on this: http://www.thestate.com/local/story/621045.html South Carolina would get $2.46 billion which would create 40,000 jobs under the plan. At the bottom of the article it lists how several state leaders feel about this proposed stimulus package:

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-Seneca: Leaning yes

Sen. Jim DeMint, R-Greenville: Likely no

Rep. Jim Clyburn, D-Columbia: Likely yes

Rep. John Spratt, D-York: Likely yes

Rep. Gresham Barrett, R-Westminister: Leaning yes

Rep. Henry Brown, R-Hanahan: Leaning yes

Rep. Joe Wilson, R-Lexington: Likely no

Rep. Bob Inglis, R-Travelers Rest: Uncertain

$200M won't go far with passenger rail. Not in a state that is only served, very badly by a few Amtrak trains each day.

It would also be interesting to see if the state would sign up for building I-73 to Myrtle Beach & Georgetown. Out side of school spending (where is the educational lottery money going) that is by far the largest project on the list. In fact it is as much money as almost all the other road projects combined. Unless some politicians in Georgetown, Horry, and upper Pee Dee counties have an envelope of photos of other SC politicians stashed away somewhere,. I would be amazed if the rest of the state went for it.

Its interesting that they are doing passenger rail Myrtle Beach to Charleston and Myrtle Beach to Conway/Florence first. This is the first I've heard of it. I know that SCDOT was supposed to be doing a study on passenger rail, but I haven't heard about how that went (assuming they are done with it).

The original plan to run the 12 mile CR between Myrtle Beach and Conway, died to the very high cost of dealing with all the grade crossings that exist now between the two places. Grade crossings created by very bad irresponsible development. There were also costly upgrades required for passenger traffic to travel over the drawbridge over the Intercoastal Waterway. This bridge is more than a 1/2 century old. Their used to be a thriving train service between Myrtle Beach and Conway so it's a shame to see it developed as it is today.

• 2 weeks later...

The City of Greenville has been working on getting their projects in order and conveying them to the Department of Transportation.

Apparently the reconfiguring of South Church Street in downtown is almost 100% ready, and the City hopes to get money for its implementation. The idea is to extend sidewalks, medians, and turn lanes from its origin at Augusta St to Washington St.

The impact of this project would go a long way creating jobs. Not only would the initial infrastructure work create jobs, but the area's revitalization would as well (which is not simply a hope, but a process that has already started with Homes of Hope's new construction on Haynie St, the City's condemning of abandoned houses, and the Brio's conversion of the old Ramada Inn into Condos). Additionally, approval for the final development plan has been issued to the City's zoning board for the "NEXT" development at Church and University. :thumbsup:

You can check out the City's Haynie-Sirrine Master Plan, which discusses its Church Street plans and potential: http://www.greatergreenville.com/developme...2.3.1-2.3.3.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

South Carolina would receive almost $920 million to build and repair roads, bridges, schools, water plants and other infrastructure under a draft economic-stimulus bill circulating among congressional committees according to The State newspaper.

President Obama

• 3 weeks later...

I just came across a site called Stimulus Watch, which tracks "shovel-ready" projects that could receive funding from the stimulus package. I looked up South Carolina, and did not see ANY projects for Greenville or the entire Upstate. There were seemingly over 100 each for Charleston and Columbia, and even some for Rock Hill, but no Greenville. I hope this web site has incomplete information, because I would be very disappointed if Greenville leaders weren't doing their best to get a piece of the stimulus pie.

http://www.stimuluswatch.org/project/by_state/SC

Here is an article that addresses my previous post somewhat. It mentions a handful of Greenville metro projects that are considered candidates for Obama's stimulus package, and it seems that we aren't asking for anything else.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...1/YOURUPSTATE01

Why not ask for a widening of I-85 to 8 lanes through the heart of Greenville, or a massive overhaul of the I-85/I-385 interchange? I know it would be expensive, but isn't now the time to get funding for such projects? We should ask, especially since all they can say is no.

Why not ask for a widening of I-85 to 8 lanes through the heart of Greenville, or a massive overhaul of the I-85/I-385 interchange? I know it would be expensive, but isn't now the time to get funding for such projects? We should ask, especially since all they can say is no.

I just came across a site called Stimulus Watch, which tracks "shovel-ready" projects that could receive funding from the stimulus package. I looked up South Carolina, and did not see ANY projects for Greenville or the entire Upstate. There were seemingly over 100 each for Charleston and Columbia, and even some for Rock Hill, but no Greenville. I hope this web site has incomplete information, because I would be very disappointed if Greenville leaders weren't doing their best to get a piece of the stimulus pie.

http://www.stimuluswatch.org/project/by_state/SC

Greenville isn't included in that list because they didn't submit projects to the US Conference of Mayors. They do have projects lined up though if they receive funding including the Salters Road bridge expansion, more transit options, and Church Street improvements. They're actually trying to be nice and not greedy unlike other cities located throughout the country who want everything but the kitchen sink.

Archived