South Carolina ARRA Stimulus Funding

gman430

I wouldn't worry about Greenville, Spartanburg, or any other city that isn't listed on that site. There is not one single master list. The reason those lists were assembled is because when this first started, people weren't sure whether or not the money would be distributed by appropriation. If it was, then they would need these lists.

So, its sounding like the Stimulus funding will be funneled to the state DOTs and then to MPOs- divvied up by whatever method the state decides. From there the MPOs must have already had projects identified in their Long Range Transportation Plans (which are federally mandated plans) among other things.

Like citylife said, building roads and bridges is not as simple as renting a bulldozer and having at it. There is a lot more prep work that goes in to planning, design, and engineering that most people realize.

Nothing is finalized though.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Engineering, environmental, and other impact studies have to be done first. That takes years. The Salter Road bridge expansion studies are complete. You can even see a conceptual rendering of the bridge here on page 3: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/publicworks/fo...Rd_Chapter6.pdf The I-85/I-385 studies won't begin until 2010. Completion of this study is expected in 2012 if I recall correctly. You can't just go out and widen a road without plans first. That's like building a house with no blue prints.

From who? :dontknow: Most people i've talked to are against this so-called stimulus package. The only people that would be complaining are poor people who think they deserve a free ride because they were in lazy in school and the people who bought a home knowing they couldn't pay it back. I'm for the infrastructure part of this package but everything else in it smells like pork and welfare in my opinion. How does giving money to the Arts Foundation and NASA stimulate the economy?

From who? :dontknow: Most people i've talked to are against this so-called stimulus package. The only people that would be complaining are poor people who think they deserve a free ride because they were in lazy in school and the people who bought a home knowing they couldn't pay it back. I'm for the infrastructure part of this package but everything else in it smells like pork and welfare in my opinion. How does giving money to the Arts Foundation and NASA stimulate the economy?

Most people don't even know what the bill consists of; they think it's just like Bush's where they will get a check in the mail, and it's not. Unemployment benefits will be extended to people collecting those benefits (and if you call that "welfare," then you must be not aware of how drastic the situation is right now) and things like that, but this is hardly a "welfare" bill. People really should start educating themselves and stop stereotyping people. I would complain if SC did not receive its fair share of funding not because me or my family are poor and were lazy in school, but because I have family members and friends who have either fallen victim to this economic downturn or are close to doing so, through no fault of their own. Criticize specific parts of the package, but don't label people who are supporting the bill as welfare queens. It doesn't help at all.

I know what's in the bill. I've read what the whole package consists of on the Wall Street Journal's website. Like I said, I support parts of this bill and other parts I don't. I'm ok with giving people unemployment checks who were laid off, but giving people free money because they were lazy in school just seems wrong to me. Why should the hard working Americans suffer at the expense of those who aren't? Also, I feel most of the stuff in this package doesn't go towards stimulating the economy. It might help stop the bleeding but it doesn't give people back their lost jobs. At least 50% of the bill should consist of transportation/infrastructure improvements and green renewable energy in my opinion. That guarantees new jobs.

^I am not sure what your point is. This is exactly what I said when I brought it up and then you asked for a source then you dismissed said source as being nothing but talk.

The governor of SC is saying that he might not take the stimulus money destined for SC. He is opposed to it on ideological grounds.

I'm with you on transportation, infrastructure, renewable energy, etc. I do wish more of the bill was dedicated to that. At the same time, there still needs to be relief for people who have lost their jobs and are suffering now. Eventually jobs will open up for them, but in the meantime, they need some help. But I'm still not understanding your point about "giving people free money because they were lazy in school." What are you referring to?

Mark Sanford to accept stimulus money according to the Associated Press. Also, SCDOT commissioners just released $200 million in stimulus funds: $100 million for resurfacing, $50 million for interstate maintenance, $12.5 million for safety projects and $37.5 million for bridge replacement according to the Charleston Post and Courier.

Archived