South Carolina ARRA Stimulus Funding

gman430

He thinks that governors Arnold Schwarzenegger and Charlie Christ were wrong for taking the money, but then quickly added that all states were different so he wasn't trying to judge them. (re Ronald Reagan: thou shall not speak bad of another GOPer)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Well, the saga is now over. The South Carolina Supreme Court ordered Gov. Sanford to accept the money. The ruling was that it's his job to apply for the funds because the Legislature asked him to. It's not a matter of principle. Here's a quote:

I agree that Sanford should know his history, and it's obviously a political stunt :) Both of the Carolinas' legislatures are the way they are because of an ingrained opposition to a singular executive, be it a lord proprietor, a king, or a royal governor.

But I'll add that Sanford has been a vocal advocate for creating a more balanced system in South Carolina, even if he has not gone about it the right way. He argues too much on principle and does not try to build consensus... and unfortunately, I'm not sure I would want to vote for him in the primary for that reason.

Archived