Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Storm Check In

5 posts in this topic

I know there aren't a lot of UPers from Massachusetts, but figured that for those of you who are, let us know you survived the ice storm.

We live just outside Worcester - we were pretty heavily hit. It was a really spooky night - we live in the woods a bit, and trees were breaking and crashing all around. Fortunately no direct hit on the houses, but a few brushed up. A few hit the cars, too (I lost my windshield and got a few dents). We are still without power, may be a day or two before we get that back. I am holed up in a hotel until then.

I live south of Worcester, fortunately here it was all rain. A few of the roads did ice over because of runoff, but not until it got cold Friday night and into Saturday. That's about it.

A bunch of my brother's friends in the area have no power still, they live in Worcester and Auburn. Some distant family in Worcester have no power until Wednesday, and then had a tree split in their backyard and nearly miss their house.

I couldn't imagine just how bad it would be out in Barre, Paxton, Gardner, Rutland, etc...

I hope you guys are doing OK in this storm. Quite something from what I have heard.

Well I am finally back online. We got power back about 4 or 5 days after we lost it - days kinda get blurry when you have no way of really telling time. We were lucky, for some reason power got restored to our house about 3 or 4 days before just about all of our neighbors. There are some who got it back only a few days ago, and I know people in town who have not yet gotten it back. Cable service was finally restored this afternoon.

It's pretty humbling - we have become so reliant on technology these days. Doing without power and cable and internet puts us at a standstill. And somehow you always think New England lives in this sheltered area - we never have big issues like this.

An interesting thought - be aware of years that end in 8 - Hurricanes, blizzards, ice storms - all the big New England events seem to happen every 20 years.

floods of 1955?

But yes. Hurricane of 1938, Blizzard of 1978, Ice Storms of 1998 and more destructive 2008... the 8 just seems to be unlucky