Fattest & Fittest Cities in America

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd list.

I was in Las Vegas all last week without a car. Okay, I did "cheat" occasionally and take a taxi or bus when travelling over a few miles, and I was in just the tourist district, but still I'm surprised to see it on this list, as I found it to be much more pedestrian-friendly than places on the "fittest" list like Nashville.

New York and New Orleans on the fattest list ?

Sure, they have great food (as does Las Vegas), but I wouldn't have expected them on the worse end of the spectrum...

Oakland is on the fittest list ? I guess anyone who moves too slow there gets shot, so there's a process of natural selection going on :P

So where is Pittsburgh? Long Beach? Mesa? but no Pittsburgh hmmmm. Glad to see Milwaukee made the "fit" list, by the way where is the citation for all this info, whats the source? thanks!

Several years ago, my buddy and his then-girlfriend (now wife) went to Florida. When they came back they couldn't believe how many obese people they saw at Disney World. Not just overweight, but outright obese. They told me how they saw entire families chowing down on these big turkey drumsticks they sold at the park, and how some people were so fat and lazy that they rented electric carts to get around in, not because they were handicapped, but just because they were lazy. I guess they would just get out of their carts to walk up to the rides/attractions, then get right back in them when they got out.

Aww, the LAST spot!! Serves us right for sprawling 60 miles in all directions. And the cold winters don't help any either. After all, who wants to go outside when it's 25 degrees out?

That brings up a good point. Though Boston made the fittest list, there is certainly a degree of winter fat that we all accumilate up here in the northeast, and I'm sure the midwest too. We get more sedentary and eat more in the cold dark winter months.

Perhaps this months long period of 'hibernation' makes us more eager once the weather turns warm, to get outside and enjoy ourselves, making us more fit overall. There's not that need to enjoy outdoor activities while you can in the sunbelt, because you can enjoy outdoor activities pretty much all year long.

New York's numbers could be do in part to large minority populations. Especially in the Hispanic community, having extra weight is seen as a good thing and a sign of wealth.

Archived