Transit Vision

Rizzo

The Transit Task Force wants to know your wishes for the future of public transit in Greater Grand Rapids and West Michigan! Say you have the ears of people who will make decisions for the direction of public transit in the city and region. What do you say to them? What is your vision? Be as specific or general as you like, there is no right or wrong answer. Consider the following questions before you post: How much transit is needed? Where should it go? What types of modes should be used? Please keep your ideas to one post. Do not use this thread for commentary or discussion. If you would like to discuss your ideas or ask questions please head over to The Transit Updates Thread.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that Grand Rapids should make a name for itself and be at the forefront of energy conservation for public transit. We are already at the forefront for L.E.E.D. for buildings. This would make it more socially acceptable to ride public transit while also contributing to the green image of the city. I would also like to see some fully electric buses in the near future. I believe hybrids are today's fad, fully electric buses will be the future.

Here's a link to a fascinating article, and map, that pertains to transit on the other side of the state.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081215/NEWS01/812150342

How? Well, imagine how Detroit would have evolved if the emphasis had been on transit. Be sure to scroll down to the map depicting other cities' land areas. Wow.

My vision would be to help show the 313 how it can be done.

I would like to see all of the Greater Grand Rapids area or even all of West Michigan be connected with and integrated BRT system. I would recommend a BRT system over light rail due to it's flexibility with future advancements in mass transportation possibilities.

I would also like to see a bullet train between Grand Rapids and Detroit.

~John

I'd like to see:

) Commuter rail along the 131 corridor, and from downtown out to Jenison area (eventually to Holland)

) Bus Rapid Transit between downtown and GVSU's Allendale campus

) Streetcars/light rail along Monroe, then Plainfield up to Creston; from downtown along Lake Drive, Wealthy and/or Cherry to Gaslight Village; and from downtown along Michigan St to Fuller

Short and Sweet:

1. A new Amtrak station, preferably in a new location as well.

2. GR connected to a Chicago-GR-Lansing-Ann Arbor-Detroit commuter rail system (it's a long shot, I know).

3. The ever popular BRT system from DT GR to GVSU main campus in Allendale.

4. Electric buses.

5. A "tri-city" (Muskegon-Holland-GR) commuter rail system.

6. The most important one of all: the implimentation of the Monroe streetcar system. It's economically feasible right now and it will have the greatest economic impact to this city.

I'm sure a lot of us on here share similar dreams.

I realize the cost of this would be probhibitive, but I'd like to see some sort of combination of an Eastown streetcar and an airport commuter line, maybe built over a 20 year period or so. It combines transit through the densest part of the city with something I think is very important - allowing visitors to get from the airport into the city without having to rent a car. (yes I realize Air Porter failed, but that was a shuttle service in addition to all the disadvantages buses have compared to rail when it comes to attracting ridership.)

Something like this, with signal priority throughout:

1) Out of Central Station sharing tracks with the Monroe Line.

2) Hangs a right on Fulton and stops at the VAA, Division and Lafayette (if the grade there allows).

3) Right on Lake Drive with stops at Eastern, Diamond, Fuller, and in Eastown.

4) Left on Wealthy, stops at Plymouth and Gaslight Village.

5) Right on Lakeside/Breton, stops at Hall and Breton Village

6) Left on Burton, stop at Calvin College.

7) Right onto the median of the Beltline, where it should probably be elevated so it doesn't contend with high speed U-Turners. From here it would go much faster, stopping at the Malls, 36th, 44th, and the Airport.

It's not horribly realistic (there are some major issues with street widths, especially on Breton through East GR), but I think it would have good ridership.

* Transit running to places the city wants to see developed and built out - transit as the driver for change - not just connecting existing dots

* integrated modes of transit - need more than 2 spots for bikes on the front of buses

* Develop ridership culture that respects each other and expects high quality from transit

* Neighborhood DASH system

Archived