Anyone see Fahrenheit 9/11 this weekend?

Danny 4 Peace

Anyone see Michael Moore's new film this weekend? If you haven't you should see it. The first two nights the theatre here in Winston-Salem was packed. How it does during its opening will determine its distribution. The truth this film exposes must get out to the public.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it yesterday and really, really enjoyed it, though I probably like Bowling for Columbine and Roger and Me a bit better. (Certainly better than 'White Chicks') Moore is a huge talent and I'll see it again this afternoon with my wife and Mother in law. It's amazing how much negativity is directed at something that people claimed to have not even seen. Why is that? I have some suspicions ;)

If a person said that he disliked M. Moore's style, his movies or TV shows so they won't see it, I could accept that. However, to not see such an important film at such a dangerous time, based on what Fox News et al says, is as discurious and anti-intellectual as Bush himself.

See it it's 9 bucks well spent. You might even learn something. Even the New York Post said it was an excellent film that it totally disagreed with :D

I saw it opening night and there were long lines. Yes its a great movie and I do agree everyone needs to see it. The name Michael Moore used appears to be from the 1960's Ray Bradbury book titled Fahrenheit 451? A very good book and a good author. I think Fahrenheit 9/11 will win this year for best documentary film. I do believe this is his best work so far. He gets better and better with each movie.

I was in Cincinnati over the weekend, and went to see it at a suburban theater. It was also playing at many theaters around town - and no security guard was present at my airing.

Awesome movie - and I think Ohio should pay attention to it. :) For Cincinnati to be the more conservative of Ohio's large cities - it got great coverage there and was a sellout. I'm happy for that. :)

Being in Cincinnati this particular weekend was pure luck for me. In Middle Tennessee, a region of 3 million people, there is not but one theater here playing it in Nashville's Green Hills Mall. I am greatly disgusted by this. It was sold out in no time, obviously. Again - my home state embarrasses me with the amount of censorship and conservatism.

Although Fahrenheit 9/11 will make its debut screening in Australia @ the Melbourne Film Festival on July 15, we have to wait for its general cinema release until July 29.

Already there are so many reviews in the newspapers here including reports of its popluarity of F. 9/11 becoming the biggest box office documentary in the U.S. to date. Up until now, Australia's biggest documentary to date is Super Size Me which is still doing a roaring trade in Aussie Cinemas.

Michael Moore is already well known here due to his television progams and of course Bowling for Columbine which ran in Australian cinemas for months. His DVD's are also selling well.

I think many Australians admire him for having the guts to expose the truth. The U.S. (and the world) is very fortunate to have him.

I haven't seen it, but I need to go see it. I was planning on going with my friends, but they couldn't wait, so now I suppose I have to go see it by myself. :(

It has been all over the paper here, since M. Moore is a Flint native. There are quite a few people here that hate him because of the way he portrays Flint, but it does get the point across.

Guest donaltopablo

Haven't seen it, and since it takes a rare kind of movie to get me out to the threater (thanks to the much preferred home theater setup I have), I doubt I will see it in the theaters.

I am interested in hearing what he has to say, but from some of the extended previews I've seen, it sounds like a lot of the same BS I've heard before. Although I'm sure there is plenty more I've missed.

Probably catch it on cable though.

Guest donaltopablo

On talk radio this morning, Liberterian Neal Boortz was going through several of the "factual" claims Moore makes in this movie and discounting them, rather humorously at that. He did recommend that those not "easily suckered by liberal propoganda" go see the movie however. He also (and expressed his disappointment) expected Kerry to win come Novemember. I was hoping they would have posted some of it up for you guys to read on his website, maybe in a couple of days.

Guest donaltopablo

Which claims did he discount and how?

Well, I only listen to the radio on my way to the store, so I did not get to listen to the entire thing. And obviously, since I have no point of reference, I'm paraphrasing, but you asked so here is my best effort to report what he said.

The two I heard was the common relationship between Bush, the Saudi's, and the Carlyle Group - that the Carlyle Group's contract with the Saudi's was signed 9 months before Bush joined the board.

The Bin Laden's leaving the country following the 9/11 attacks - that the bin laden family has disowned Osama a long time ago, other "private" flights were allowed, and that the 9/11 commission reported that the administration properly handled the Bin Laden family leaving following 9/11.

I was in Cincinnati over the weekend, and went to see it at a suburban theater. It was also playing at many theaters around town - and no security guard was present at my airing.

Awesome movie - and I think Ohio should pay attention to it. :) For Cincinnati to be the more conservative of Ohio's large cities - it got great coverage there and was a sellout. I'm happy for that. :)

Being in Cincinnati this particular weekend was pure luck for me. In Middle Tennessee, a region of 3 million people, there is not but one theater here playing it in Nashville's Green Hills Mall. I am greatly disgusted by this. It was sold out in no time, obviously. Again - my home state embarrasses me with the amount of censorship and conservatism.

Actually 3 theatres in Nashville are playing the movie: Green Hills, Opry Mills, and Hollywood 27. I don't know where you heard there was only one.

The first night was also completely sold out.

And Middle TN has even more theatres showing it outside of Nashville..

Well, I only listen to the radio on my way to the store, so I did not get to listen to the entire thing. And obviously, since I have no point of reference, I'm paraphrasing, but you asked so here is my best effort to report what he said.

The two I heard was the common relationship between Bush, the Saudi's, and the Carlyle Group - that the Carlyle Group's contract with the Saudi's was signed 9 months before Bush joined the board.

The Bin Laden's leaving the country following the 9/11 attacks - that the bin laden family has disowned Osama a long time ago, other "private" flights were allowed, and that the 9/11 commission reported that the administration properly handled the Bin Laden family leaving following 9/11.

Ok, thanks.

I'm not arguing here, just curious.

I've found that many on the right are arguing minor points and claiming that it invalidates the whole movie. I think they are missing the point though. This administration is corrupt and has many close ties to people that should make you question the administrations motives.

They're trying to cut down a few trees, without seeing the whole forest so to speak.

Guest donaltopablo

I think both the left and right (even more so this year) are guility of excessive slants and arguing minor points. But this shouldn't be surprising in a highly contested election with strong feelings regarding the Iraq war.

Considering the couple of items I've read about (and it's possible I've read about them because they are easy to pick on), this movie sounds like a lot of the excessive slants from the left. But then again, I would expect the same thing from a movie by say, Sean Hantity, LOL!

Lastly, I'm not going to say that the current (and most in general) administration hasn't made mistakes, misjudgements, or even some down right corruption. But I think that there are stronger arguing points for even those who believe the administration is corrupt than "minor points" such as letting some family members of Bin Laden leave the country during the commerical airliner shutdown. Something that is pointed out simply because the share family ties and a last name, but with almost no basis for illustrating corruption or prior knowledge of 9/11. I believe both sides are just as guilty.

However, I did find it entertaining.

Archived