Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gman430

Markley Place Residences

18 posts in this topic

I'm trying to place the exact location. Will this be on the block between Rhett and Main, or between Rhett and Academy?

I'm trying to place the exact location. Will this be on the block between Rhett and Main, or between Rhett and Academy?

Rhett and Academy. http://maps.google.com is your friend. ;) There's a gravel lot with four houses on the land that this proposed development will be built on. If you're heading from Main Street toward Academy Street (northbound) along Markley Street it's between Grace Street and Rhett Street on the left hand side of the road.

Edited by citylife

I wonder if we will see a boomlet of new higher density residential construction in that general area - near the Kroc Center and the adjacent elementary school.

This development - the Brownstones a couple of blocks down Rhett St. - the proposed development a couple of blocks on the other side of the Kroc Center at Gibbs, Hudson, and Mayfield. It seems to have started. It will be interesting to see if it continues and accelerates. There is quite a bit of open land in that area now.

From what I can tell on the rendering, these look pretty nice. Do they have a website for the project with color renderings? Would love to see exterior materials and finishes.

The Greenville Journal is reporting that this development should start construction in July. Apparently it has been delayed due to a spat between the City and developers over the design.

Does anyone know what exactly was wrong with the design? I'm curious if it were layout issues, or more of a material usage issue...

Anyway, it's great to see this development moving forward. Each parcel of land is a building block.

The dispute was over layout issues if I recall correctly. It might have been the parking situation. Can't quite remember though.

Actually I just answered my own question. You can see the City's comments on the newer design. Apparently the elements that the City took issue with were large scale elements of the design, including massing at the corner, window size, and larger balconies, among a few other things.

I think they were correct in requiring such changes. The development should be a better addition to the neighborhood and downtown now. :good:

In situations like this, I really appreciate the DPC's addressing of such aspects of design. :shok: I think it is going to positively impact the development.

You can see the staff report on the changes here from this month's agenda: March DPC

Thanks, too, to Citylife. You posted while I was posting again. :blush:

Edited by GvilleSC

The sign for this development is now up on site.

This development is going to make quite an impact visually. Here's to hoping it's starts construction in 2010!!

I just heard word tonight that this development is waiting on financing, which is waiting on a pre-sale requirement to be met. The developers still very much want to do the project, but their commitments right now aren't high enough for banks to lend... So, if anyone is looking to get a condo, Markley Place is waiting for your signature... :good:

They need to market this project better, if they want sales to pick up. It has been very low profile. They need a webpage for starters.

This project has been revived. Site was for sale. Now it's marketing town-homes again.

Edited by gman430

Deleted for other thread

Edited by vicupstate