Chicago/Peoria/Springfield/St. Louis 5 day trip

ShowMeKC

Well, I have been gone these last 5 days because we went to Chicago and other cities in Illinois and went to St. Louis too.

I went up in the Sears Tower and the John Hancock Tower, however we couldn't go up in the Arch in St. Louis because we didn't have enough time.

Overall I like Chicago alot more than I liked New York City. It's alot cleaner and not as dense or polluted.

Like i've suspected from photos, St. Louis is alot like Kansas City in many ways, something that confused me was their riverfront, its beautiful but it doesn't have much of a view into East St. Louis.

The Mississippi River isn't nearly as large as I imagined, neither in Hannibal nor St. Louis. It seems about the size of the Missouri in those two locations and it's almost as muddy in St. Louis as the MO is here in KC.

So I will post my 40 photos out of my 100+ overall photos from the trip.

(not in any particular order, sorry)

311 South Wacker from the Sears Tower:

311_S_Wacker.jpg

Fourth Presberterian Church which is across from the John Hancock Tower.

4th_Presb_Church.jpg

Aon Center and the Chicago River from the John Hancock Tower

Aon_Center_JHC.jpg

900 North Michigan from the John Hancock Tower

900_N_Michigan_JHC.jpg

Aon Center and Lake Michigan from the Sears Tower

Aon_Center_Sears.jpg

Aon Center and Sears Tower from the John Hancock Center Skydeck (an area screened in instead of glass)

Aon_Sears_from_Skydeck.jpg

AT&T Corporate Center from the Sears Tower (on the right)

AT_T_Corporate_Center_Sears.jpg

Chicago Temple, 568ft tall with the spire, taken from the Sears Tower

Chicago_Temple_568ft_Sears.jpg

Downtown St. Louis from the Arch

Downtown_St_Louis.jpg

Edward Jones Dome, Home of the Rams (I can't imagine how loud Arrowhead would be if it had a dome)

Edward_Jones_Dome.jpg

The Field Museum in Chicago

Field_Museum.jpg

Frank Lloyd Wright house in Oak Park, a suburb of Chicago

Frank_Lloyd_Wright_Home.jpg

John Hancock Tower

John_Hancock_Tower.jpg

John Hancock Tower again

John_Hancock_Tower1.jpg

JHC Tower from the Sears Tower

John_Hancock_Tower_Sears.jpg

Looking out to Lake Michigan from the John Hancock Tower

Lake_Michigan_JHC.jpg

Lincoln Tomb in Springfield, all his family except Robert Todd are buried there.

Lincoln_Tomb.jpg

Looking north to Evanston, IL from the Sears Tower

Looking_to_Evanston_Sears.jpg

Northern Chicago and Evanston from the John Hancock Tower

N_Chicago_Evanston_JHC.jpg

Near South Side from the Sears Tower

Near_South_Side_Sears.jpg

Near West Side from the Sears Tower, the quadruplites are the Presidential Towers

Near_West_Side_Sears.jpg

Northern Downtown from the Sears Tower

North_Downtown_Sears.jpg

The Palmolive Tower from the John Hancock Tower

Palmolive_Building_JHC.jpg

Park Tower from the base of the John Hancock Tower

Park_Tower.jpg

A local bridge in Peoria

Peoria_Bridge.jpg

Three photos of the Sears Tower

Sears_Tower.jpg

Sears_Tower1.jpg

Sears_Tower2.jpg

The Downtown Chicago Skyline from Shedd Aquarium, after the heavy rain and it was sprinkling then.

Skyline_from_Shedd_Aq.jpg

Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears

Soldier_Field.jpg

Southern Downtown from the Sears Tower

Southern_Downtown_Sears.jpg

The State Capital in Springfield

Springfield_Capital_Building.jpg

The St. Louis Skyline from the I-10/55 highway bridge

St_Louis_Skyline.jpg

Two photos of the Arch

The_Arch.jpg

The_Arch1.jpg

The loop from the John Hancock Center

The_loop_JHC.jpg

UBS Tower from the Sears Tower

UBS_Tower_Sears.jpg

Chicago's old Union Station, the newest additions take up 1 1/2 more blocks and this one takes up one block.

Union_Station.jpg

Water Tower Place from the John Hancock Tower

Water_Tower_Place.jpg

Western Chicago from the Sears Tower

Western_Chicago_Sears.jpg

Overall it was a fun and exhausting trip, I never knew Illinois was so much like Kansas and Oklahoma, very very flat and lots and lots of farms (even Chicago and it's burbs are surrounded by it)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome pics! Your trip looks very similar to my vacation two years ago...you went the same places and saw the same things, only my trip lasted much longer.

Chicago is a great city, and I can't wait to go back there. I usually go every few months, and I haven't been there since November. I see you went to Oak Park...that is a great spot for architecture students like myself. I think I took probably 300 photos in the area around FLW's house.

I also took some photos from the Sears Tower showing the future site of the Trump International Hotel. (that blank spot at where the Chicago River and some other river come together and run into lake michigan (its the only river in the world that runs backwards)

I also took some photos from the Sears Tower showing the future site of the Trump International Hotel. (that blank spot at where the Chicago River and some other river come together and run into lake michigan (its the only river in the world that runs backwards)

Unfortunately that river caused a lot of pissed people down stream in Joliet and around when they did that reverse. It also caused over the years the water level in Lake Michigan to sink sot hey had to put a locke system in place to keep it from happening.

Archived