More Sculptures downtown

joeDowntown

I'm surprised nobody picked up on this, but I think it is a fantastic idea (and even though I'm annoyed by Secchia's parking lot move, this is *REALLY* cool). The first statue is already in place next to the Amway Grand. Anyone have any good pictures? The slideshow doesn't do it justice:

http://www.mlive.com/grandrapids/stories/i....xml&coll=6

Great idea and a gift that keeps on giving. I hope they use different artists and different styles to add even more interest.

Joe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised nobody picked up on this, but I think it is a fantastic idea (and even though I'm annoyed by Secchia's parking lot move, this is *REALLY* cool). The first statue is already in place next to the Amway Grand. Anyone have any good pictures? The slideshow doesn't do it justice:

http://www.mlive.com/grandrapids/stories/i....xml&coll=6

Great idea and a gift that keeps on giving. I hope they use different artists and different styles to add even more interest.

Joe

Slideshow? I don't see a slideshow at that mlive link. Am I missing something?

(Safari & Firefox / Mac OSX 10.4.11)

Slideshow? I don't see a slideshow at that mlive link. Am I missing something?

(Safari & Firefox / Mac OSX 10.4.11)

I didn't see a link either. I had to dig for it.

http://photos.mlive.com/gallery/4469/Luciu...atue%20unveiled

Edit: Found it via the Photos section and then selecting GR Press, which took me here: http://photos.mlive.com/galleries/4469

I didn't see a link either. I had to dig for it.

http://photos.mlive.com/gallery/4469/Luciu...atue%20unveiled

Edit: Found it via the Photos section and then selecting GR Press, which took me here: http://photos.mlive.com/galleries/4469

It's a bit confusing, but this version of the story on Mlive has the slideshow embedded.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/news/index.ss...o_sculpted.html

I heard this on the radio this morning and was sooo excited! What a wonderful addition to the beauty and artistry of the city! Also a great tribute to the many people who have given their blood, sweat, and tears to build our beautiful city! Can't wait to hear/see more!

And I second the wish that they were a little larger, but more than that, I am glad that at least this one is dignified and inspiring!

It's alright. But should Grand Rapids be highlighting the fact that it was built by a bunch of old white guys? Yes, I know that's reality, but should it be spotlighted? Doesn't it kind of reinforce some already held perceptions?

if you look at the first 5 statues being built 3 are white guys 1 is a woman and 1 is a Native American...

Well that's better. Where did you see that?

they were listed in the Mlive article that was online a day or so ago. Unfortunately when your history includes a bunch of old white guys you are obligated to include them when making historical statues. It seems that they are doing what they can to include minorities and will include as many as they can but i suspect that their options are limited relative to the number of non-minorities. what do I know though. :dontknow:

they were listed in the Mlive article that was online a day or so ago. Unfortunately when your history includes a bunch of old white guys you are obligated to include them when making historical statues. It seems that they are doing what they can to include minorities and will include as many as they can but i suspect that their options are limited relative to the number of non-minorities. what do I know though. :dontknow:

Oh yeah, here it is:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/news/index.ss...o_sculpted.html

It's alright. But should Grand Rapids be highlighting the fact that it was built by a bunch of old white guys? Yes, I know that's reality, but should it be spotlighted? Doesn't it kind of reinforce some already held perceptions?

You said it yourself, it's reality, so why not? You're reading way too much into it if you think this is all about old white guys.

I was told of this project about 2 months ago and my first comment was "Why are they putting up sculptures of a guy who died 150 years ago?" I was the only one in the conversation who knew who Lucious Lyon was - the rest thought it'd be a sculpture of Lucious the Lion.

It'll be a nice project, i just was imgaining something different.

You said it yourself, it's reality, so why not? You're reading way too much into it if you think this is all about old white guys.

When I first read the article when it came out, it didn't mention anything about which people would be featured for the first five statues. It only said there would be 50 of them throughout the city, one every two years. The fact that they picked an Indian Chief and a woman who was the first black president of the YWCA for the first five tells me that people on the committee had the exact same concerns I did (that it could easily be statues of a bunch of old white guys).

Yes, they should spotlight who helped in establishing our city, regardless of their race or origin.

And when did it become a bad thing to be a white guy?! I must have missed that memo. I am a white guy and damn proud of my heritage.

To marginalize white men like this, as if they do not have the right to be honored, is terribly inappropriate.

I think a terrible perception is that white men are bad, which is racist. Being a white guy, GRDad, you should be proud of who you are and not afraid of the color of your skin pissing someone off.

The whole "white guys are bad" and "don't celebrate the works of a white man for fear of upsetting others" is just awful and I am sooo sick of it.

Yes, they should spotlight who helped in establishing our city, regardless of their race or origin.

And when did it become a bad thing to be a white guy?! I must have missed that memo. I am a white guy and damn proud of my heritage.

To marginalize white men like this, as if they do not have the right to be honored, is terribly inappropriate.

I think a terrible perception is that white men are bad, which is racist. Being a white guy, GRDad, you should be proud of who you are and not afraid of the color of your skin pissing someone off.

The whole "white guys are bad" and "don't celebrate the works of a white man for fear of upsetting others" is just awful and I am sooo sick of it.

Again, when I first heard about it, I pictured every street corner downtown littered with statues of old white guys (because they showed the Lucius Lyon statue). I didn't say it would upset anyone. It was more of a case of "how bland and plain vanilla".

Either way, very few will pay attention to the statues anyway, kind of like most commemorative statues.

Again, when I first heard about it, I pictured every street corner downtown littered with statues of old white guys (because they showed the Lucius Lyon statue). I didn't say it would upset anyone. It was more of a case of "how bland and plain vanilla".

Either way, very few will pay attention to the statues anyway, kind of like most commemorative statues.

My hope is that for some of them, they'll hire artists who might do something a little bit more interesting and creative than a bronze statuette. I don't really have anything to base this on. It's just what I hope.

I was told of this project about 2 months ago and my first comment was "Why are they putting up sculptures of a guy who died 150 years ago?" I was the only one in the conversation who knew who Lucious Lyon was - the rest thought it'd be a sculpture of Lucious the Lion.

We need a sculpture precisely because people don't know who he was... that's what art and sculptures do right?

I think it's a fantastic idea to pick people that aren't alive today and aren't well-enough known.

I agree. I love to see statues of important people. Whenever I travel to other cities I always see tons of commemorative statues, and it usually tells me something about the city that I never knew. I love the Lyon statue. I love the Vandenberg statue. Keep them coming!

Joe

We need a sculpture precisely because people don't know who he was... that's what art and sculptures do right?

I think it's a fantastic idea to pick people that aren't alive today and aren't well-enough known.

Those persons who made a significant contribution to Grand Rapids should be honored regardless of their race. To say that a host of historical figures (who may happen to be a bunch of old dead white guys) would be boring is to say that history itself is boring. Also, to downplay a person's role (just because he is white and/or male) in favor of a less significant person's contributions to our city's culture or greatness (based solely on the basis of that person being of a different race or gender) us ludicrous and shows a disdain for history, prefering to give the spotlight to "political correctness" of our modern era.

Think in the long term people...I forsee that in 200 years (or maybe less) there will have been so many inter-racial marraiges that the definitions of Black, White, Native American, Asian will no longer be applicable, since we will all begin to be pretty much one culture/race. So in 200 years, would it not be better for people to be able to look upon the cheif people who built our city, and who's names grace our streets, rather than people of a more obscure historical contribution?

Don't see the color or the race, see the person and their objective contributions to history and culture, and then you will know that you are not a racist, but a human person.

Those persons who made a significant contribution to Grand Rapids should be honored regardless of their race. To say that a host of historical figures (who may happen to be a bunch of old dead white guys) would be boring is to say that history itself is boring. Also, to downplay a person's role (just because he is white and/or male) in favor of a less significant person's contributions to our city's culture or greatness (based solely on the basis of that person being of a different race or gender) us ludicrous and shows a disdain for history, prefering to give the spotlight to "political correctness" of our modern era.

Think in the long term people...I forsee that in 200 years (or maybe less) there will have been so many inter-racial marraiges that the definitions of Black, White, Native American, Asian will no longer be applicable, since we will all begin to be pretty much one culture/race. So in 200 years, would it not be better for people to be able to look upon the cheif people who built our city, and who's names grace our streets, rather than people of a more obscure historical contribution?

Don't see the color or the race, see the person and their objective contributions to history and culture, and then you will know that you are not a racist, but a human person.

I hate posting a 'me too' post - but this was very well stated. Thank you for your eloquence.

White? Certainly. Male? Obviously. Old? Hardly. From his bio, it's pretty amazing what he accomplished when he was still in his 20s and 30s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Lyon

Archived