Town Center Art Institute

mlsimons

Found this today...

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/S...20News/2064553/

BRIEF: Virginia Beach approves Town Center space for Art Institute

Dec 03, 2008 (The Virginian-Pilot - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- TWBC {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Quote {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Chart {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} News {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} PowerRating -- VIRGINIA BEACH -- The City Council has approved a permit that would allow the Art Institute, a private, for-profit business, to open a culinary and graphic design program in Town Center.

The Art Institute would take up two floors of the new Columbus Tower building. The school is still trying to get all its permits, but enrollment is expected to grow to 516 students, according to city documents.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is the article from the Pilot, not that there is much more to read. :rolleyes: For me, what has been an unexpected surprise, is the diversification of TC. My thoughts were originally of office buildings and maybe a few restaurants and apartments and there but now there are colleges, hopefully an art institute, of course plenty of restaurants, and some retail slowly is creeping in. There are hotels, entertainment options can be found there as well be it in the Sandler Center or out on the plaza. The vitality just seems to be improving all the time.

wow, now this really peaked my interest....and was a complete surprise to me. So, seriously, when do we stop calling this a town center and start calling Pembroke downtown Virginia Beach?

Actually, this is amazing news because it would be the only Art Institute in Virginia besides the one in DC Metro. This would be a very big move for the city in so many ways. The fact that over time it will turn the metro into a hot bed for design and food, which will be a good move forward. Plus if you look at the college's catalog of programs they offer, over time this school will probably expand and add new things to it, which will force them to need more space, possibly multiple buildings in Pembroke. This is such a good thing in the long run because it puts something new in play that will require more space over time.

The best reference of what this could do it the TCC Campus on Granby St. That started with one building and now it is a mini campus downtown.

now if only Hampton Roads can get another architecture program besides the one that is in Hampton University. That would be so amazing to one day see actual talented architecture students coming into the job force in Hampton Roads...it might improve the quality of architecture....I know I am getting too far ahead of myself, but I really am excited about the news.

"Councilman Bill DeSteph worried that the students would create a parking crunch."

ummm, mass transit....talk about being a short sighted moron. When will people there realize that there is more to the world than cars and parking spots. If Virginia Beach would get off their ass and jump on the transit bandwagon, maybe they wouldnt have to worry about parking and traffic as much.

"Councilman Bill DeSteph worried that the students would create a parking crunch."

ummm, mass transit....talk about being a short sighted moron. When will people there realize that there is more to the world than cars and parking spots. If Virginia Beach would get off their ass and jump on the transit bandwagon, maybe they wouldnt have to worry about parking and traffic as much.

Cool. I'd like free lab space somewhere.

I pinged someone regarding Granby street, and I actually got a reply different than what I expected.

Virginia Beach should keep parking available and plenty, that is one thing that hurts in downtown areas. I enjoy working downtown normally, but when I went to tour a new office that a friend took (He's CTO at a gov't contractor) I was a bit jealous that he gets to park right in front of the building and they have so much space. The operating costs must be so much cheaper there. No $85 per employee for parking.

Cool. I'd like free lab space somewhere.

I pinged someone regarding Granby street, and I actually got a reply different than what I expected.

Virginia Beach should keep parking available and plenty, that is one thing that hurts in downtown areas. I enjoy working downtown normally, but when I went to tour a new office that a friend took (He's CTO at a gov't contractor) I was a bit jealous that he gets to park right in front of the building and they have so much space. The operating costs must be so much cheaper there. No $85 per employee for parking.

Archived