N. Mississippi Recession

jetjockey75

The weakening economy has had a number of negative impacts upon the NE region. The new SeverCorr steel mill in Columbus has not furloughed any workers but they have drastically cut their hours. The Paccar truck engine plant (500 new jobs) in Columbus has reportedly put construction work on hold. And it was announced this week that Tupelo's Toyota plant (2000+ new jobs) has been put on indefinite hold; the building was 90% complete and they will finish it, but no machinery will be moved in.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surrised that they are doing this, but it will have grave side-effects for Mississippi. I have mixed feelings about the automobile industry in general, but this would undoubtedly have been a great economic generator for the whole region. I think thay will finish the plant, but on their own schedule. Having taken $200m in incentives from the state, they had better complete the factory....

To what extent do you think this can be offset by other projects in the area? I have heard very positive things about Columbus and its downtown revival. Keep us posted with news and pictures (if you can). Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Archived