Stimulus Package Infrastructure

cwetteland

Is there a list of "shovel-ready" projects in Central Fla vying for stimulus funds? Also, I heard that several weeks ago at a Mayors' Conference a list of municipal projects was drafted. Does anyone know if Dyer was there and what if anything was put on that list from Orlando?

I heard somewhere that commuter rail (aka SunRail) may get funds but that the I-4 widening would not because it is not shovel ready.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a list of "shovel-ready" projects in Central Fla vying for stimulus funds? Also, I heard that several weeks ago at a Mayors' Conference a list of municipal projects was drafted. Does anyone know if Dyer was there and what if anything was put on that list from Orlando?

I heard somewhere that commuter rail (aka SunRail) may get funds but that the I-4 widening would not because it is not shovel ready.

I am pretty sure the commuter rail funds are already lined up and will not be needed in a stimulus package. I have seen the list for Orlando and it is mostly schools and roads. None of the road projects I saw deal with I-4 but do consist of things like widening S.R. 50 etc. If they were smart they would try to get Light Rail in the stimulus package to go along with the commuter rail and probably high speed rail (which should be part of the package as well).

• 3 weeks later...

IIRC something related to commuter rail was included in the list of items that could move forward in the next 6 months. These have to be projects that have everything all lined up - PD&E, right of way, design -- just waiting on money for construction. Light rail is not shovel ready at this point. It wouldn't take much I don't think, but it's not there yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The house $825bn proposal release yesterday has $10bn, nationwide for rail and mass transit. That'd be just over $500mil for Florida. Remember back when the LRT was proposed and defeated, it was a $600mil project. By the time Miami, Tampa, Jax and others get their piece, you're looking at less than $100mil for Central Florida. Lynx and SunRail will grab some of that. So it's not much.

There is a separate pot of about $32bn for roads & bridges (or about $1.6bn for the state).

Archived