Ford's New Hybrid

Yankee Fan

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing is the hybrids that really sell will look different from the mainstream cars. The Prius sells rings around the Camry, Accord, Civic, Escape, and malibu hybrids. i expect the next gen Prius and Honda Insight to do the same. The look...well, like the public expects a hybrid to look. Newsweek had an article about this a while ago. basically, market research indicated people who bought hybrids wanted everyone to know they were driving a hybrid vehicle.

I'm not expecting a lot from the Fusion Hybrid, saleswise.

I love the design of the Fusion.

About 2-3 weeks ago I was in Dallas for the Dallas Children's Parade, and someone (I can't remember who) rolled up in a limousine version of the Fusion. That was the first time I ever saw that car, and quite honestly the limousine version was impressive. But looking at the regular version, I like it. The styling reminds me of the new Honda Accord design, of which I am quite fond.

I honestly don't know why Ford doesn't bring cars like this into the USA that get 63mpg. It is not a science experiment and the economy beats the pants off any hybrid. Toyota has admitted this week that it has never made any money off the Prius and I believe they may have canceled their plans to build a Prius plant in the USA.

Beyond the fact that diesel costs much more over here, regulations make it much more difficult to bring a diesel to the US market. A lot of people would probably not be willing to put the time or money into working with a diesel anyways. Of course, the Fiesta is a small car - remember the Aspire? It is about that size. So you are going to be competing against cars like the Chevy Aveo.

Fusion Hybrid also beats Camry Hybrid by 8mpg... that's their target market (not the Civic which is in the same class as the Ford Focus).

I think the Fusion has some serious potential, but I agree that the diesel Fiesta would really rock over here in the US. I thought I read there were plans to release Fiesta here? Maybe not the diesel version.

I honestly don't know why Ford doesn't bring cars like this into the USA that get 63mpg. It is not a science experiment and the economy beats the pants off any hybrid. Toyota has admitted this week that it has never made any money off the Prius and I believe they may have canceled their plans to build a Prius plant in the USA.

• 2 months later...

When Ford's executive VP, Mark Fields, came on MSNBC yesterday to talk about the Ford Fusion hybrid, it all sounded good until he was asked this question....

Where is this car built?

Answer: Mexico

----------------------

So much for waving the American flag over the Ford Fusion hybrid. When asked what is it that Ford saw about building this vehicle in Mexico over the United States, we got back a bunch of corporate BS that said everything but the real reason the cars are placed down there. Pat Buchanan said it right. "You want the American consumer but you don't want the American worker. The Ford guy didn't really have an answer for that.

I guess it is something that Ford has not yet asked for a bailout. However I don't see any difference in purchasing cars from them or from Toyota. At least Toyota builds its cars in the USA.

^Well.... you just disproved what you originally said.

"most popular foreign car lines, even if they are 'assembled' in the US are using mainly foreign sourced components.'

Apparently this isn't the case given what you just posted above. However, now that we have that settled and back to the point at hand, it's irrelevant to the fact that Ford is building the Fusion Hybrid in Mexico. Ford wants to drape the Fusion with the American flag yet they don't feel they can actually build the car in America. It's hypocritical, and as I said before, I would rather buy a foreign brand made in the USA than an American brand made in Mexico.

• 3 weeks later...

forget the hybrids. Ford's first full electric production model "The electric transit connect" will be in production in 2010 followed by a 5 passenger car in 2011 that will travel 120 miles per charge. These vehicles wont be cheap though ($50,000 - $70,000). Finally a major auto company will begin to break away from oil. Obama is really putting the pressure on for these car manufacturers to move quickly in this direction. Currently an oil company owns patents to a kind of lithium battery that would allow drivers to travel 400 plus miles per charge. Electric cars will be wide spread once batteries such as that are used.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512423,00.html

0_61_Transit320.jpg

Archived