Columbus' Growth Stagnation

aboutmetro

Growth - why can't Columbus take off?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What's causing slow growth

• Lack of Interstate access?
    • Does Atlanta grab the growth?
    • Is our economic development leadership lacking?
    • Is it simply geography?
    • Is it in the name? No HQ wants to locate to "Columbus #2"?
    • Do Columbus' developers think too small?
    • Are you a conspirist? Are the powers that be keeping labor competition out?
  2. 2. What will it take to turn Columbus trend around?

• Better access - add 1 or more Interstates.
    • Lobby for future passenger rail.
    • Change the Economic Development team.
    • Actively attract visionary developers.
    • Get GA's other second cities and gang up on Atlanta.
    • Branding. Start from scratch and spend the bucks (think 'the Duck').
    • Nothing can be done - The powers are too great.

So before the local 2008 numbers come out, Columbus 'proper' (Muscogee) growth is likely again to be pretty, well, less than stellar even as Georgia is in the top 9. What is the basic reason or reasons. Suffice to say that job growth and population growth go hand-in-hand. But why the lack of growth. Is it a lack of Interstate access (the I-185 culdesac doesn't count)? Is it a lack of leadership or political will to attract employers? Does Atlanta suck all the air out of the room? If you were king and could effect on change to spark growth, what would it be?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aboutmetro im not trying to get in your business but I have to answer to your question. And your question is you wonder why columbus georgias growth is so slow well I can answer that for you. One of the reasons I think columbus growth is so slow is because columbus does not have full highway or interstate access coming threw columbus like I said before columbus sits at a dead end because columbus does not have full highway or interstate access coming threw the city. And another thing just take a look at macon sannavahh and augusta georgia all these midsize cities all have full highway or interstate access except for columbus georgia columbus is a midsize city and its the third largest city in georgia and it does not have full highway or interstate access coming threw the city. So like I said over and over again columbus georgia is way behind on highway and interstate projects. So in my opionion columbus needs full highway or interstate access for the city to grow and if columbus does get full highway or interstate access running threw the city then I think columbus will grow a lot.

So before the local 2008 numbers come out, Columbus 'proper' (Muscogee) growth is likely again to be pretty, well, less than stellar even as Georgia is in the top 9. What is the basic reason or reasons. Suffice to say that job growth and population growth go hand-in-hand. But why the lack of growth. Is it a lack of Interstate access (the I-185 culdesac doesn't count)? Is it a lack of leadership or political will to attract employers? Does Atlanta suck all the air out of the room? If you were king and could effect on change to spark growth, what would it be?

• 3 months later...

The reason why columbus is slow in growing is because there are several reasons why let me name them to you lets see columbus does not have any full interstate access coming threw the city thats one of the reasons why columbus is growing slow lets see and a another reason is because columbus needs more jobs in the city also for the city to grow what I mean by more jobs is im not talking about these little business like fastfood restraunts and other little stores im talking about good paying jobs like big companys and headquarters for an example like tsys aflac synovus companys like these are big companys and they pay good columbus needs to attract more big companys and headquarters like these to our city so our city can grow and once this people find out that columbus has big companys and headquarters here that are good paying jobs like these then the people will want to move down here to our city to work for these big companys and headquarters that pay good.

Archived