Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

It's good to be back...

4 posts in this topic

Well, I got a great Christmas Gift! I am - ONLINE AGAIN!

Up here in NE, we had a major, major ice storm. We get storms all the time, but to be honest it is a major disruption if power goes out for more than a few hours. Well, this storm put us out for days. We lost power for about 5 days, I know people who are still without it almost two weeks later. We just got cable service back this afternoon.

We have always been a bit amused by news reports of hurricanes or other natural events which leave other parts of the country helpless for such long times, as that never happens to us. Well, looks like we were taught a lesson. It's interesting how so much of our daily life is run by electricity and technology.

Well, I got a great Christmas Gift! I am - ONLINE AGAIN!

Up here in NE, we had a major, major ice storm. We get storms all the time, but to be honest it is a major disruption if power goes out for more than a few hours. Well, this storm put us out for days. We lost power for about 5 days, I know people who are still without it almost two weeks later. We just got cable service back this afternoon.

We have always been a bit amused by news reports of hurricanes or other natural events which leave other parts of the country helpless for such long times, as that never happens to us. Well, looks like we were taught a lesson. It's interesting how so much of our daily life is run by electricity and technology.

It is strange to be thrown back into the 'stone-age' due to a storm or natural disaster for a period of time. It really shows you what we take for granted on a day to day basis. The longest I've ever dealt with this was in '89 when a tornado struck and our house lost power for 14 days. It was really quite an adventure..

What I found most amazing about this - everyone I know has been panicking about older parents and relatives. Obviously the cold is a big factor, but just in general - their ability to survive in trying times like these. Yet, it seems the older people are, the easier time they have had had dealing with the aftermath. Those who seemed to have lost it first are the youngest people - those who never dealt with this kind of situation before. It seems the older people remember a time when things such as electricity and hot water and TV and phones weren't ever-present, and they knew how to go one living and keeping themselves warm and entertaining themselves.