Parking in central Fayetteville

zman9810

Paid Parking in Fayetteville  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for a uniform system of it?

• Yes
    • No

Very nice shots- this is a great example of what can be done to diguise a parking deck to make it appear more attractive. If it had glass windows you would think it was an office building. It's built into the side of the hill so it makes good use of the lot it is on. It can also be expanded upwards when the need and money to do so are there.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it did go up rather quickly. It's been finished for a while now. I just finally got around to going out and taking some pictures. And yes if you sinply put up a few more windows over the open areas it would look like a regular church building.

Our city has a lot of parking garages for its size. 2, soon to be 3 on the U of A campus, the city one near the Cosmo, the Library, County Courthouse, CUMC, Underwood Plaza, the one at UAMS Northwest....

We have 8 and when the new Garland Center is done, as well as one off Dickson someday, we'll have 10. We're doing pretty good in that respect. Its a matter of our topography, but I'd assume we have as many parking garages as any city of comparable size.

Our city has a lot of parking garages for its size. 2, soon to be 3 on the U of A campus, the city one near the Cosmo, the Library, County Courthouse, CUMC, Underwood Plaza, the one at UAMS Northwest....

We have 8 and when the new Garland Center is done, as well as one off Dickson someday, we'll have 10. We're doing pretty good in that respect. Its a matter of our topography, but I'd assume we have as many parking garages as any city of comparable size.

Speaking of the parking near the cosmo; I was jogging around there the other day and decided to run through/on-top of it. It needs some repair work. Is this city owned or is it part of the Cosmo? Wouldn't hurt the square much if it was expanded. Would be nice if the city had room to put a WAC facility near the square.

I like the streetcar idea, that would work well to pass by many of the parking decks... by the way (mentioned in the transit thread).

Speaking of the parking near the cosmo; I was jogging around there the other day and decided to run through/on-top of it. It needs some repair work. Is this city owned or is it part of the Cosmo? Wouldn't hurt the square much if it was expanded. Would be nice if the city had room to put a WAC facility near the square.

I like the streetcar idea, that would work well to pass by many of the parking decks... by the way (mentioned in the transit thread).

Well, the letter to the editor that I sent was published.

http://www.nwanews.com/nwat/Editorial/73167

Wonder if it will make any difference. I really hope they don't overprice the parking. Charging to little at first then raising it is so much better than overcharging and then lowering it.

Now, I just need to write one about the transit options we are discussing in the other topics.

Wonder if it will make any difference. I really hope they don't overprice the parking. Charging to little at first then raising it is so much better than overcharging and then lowering it.

Now, I just need to write one about the transit options we are discussing in the other topics.

What I would personally like to happen is for the city government to either not have any parking except for street side or to suck it up and build decks (with actual money, no bond selling) in strategically located areas of proper density and expected proper density. Keep the parking free and have donation boxes and highly emphasize that donating is what keeps the decks and business running. They could also sell/lease/rent the spots to local businesses to help them achieve the required parking spaces for the plot of land. This would be a great idea but it won't happen. The city will either have free single level lots (and these are coming under high heat), paid single level lots, or paid decks. They will likely never have free decks.

But yes, I do agree that the city will eventually go with parking. Regardless of what is the best or wanted thing by the city and its businesses. An example would be the 6th street controversy.

Everyone needs to remember, the city owning the lots does not collect taxes on the property. but what it does is it increases the value of the surrounding businesses b/c there is a place for their customers to park so they try to make up the loss in taxes on property through the gain of taxes on what the business produce.

Our tax dollars also purchased the property and paved it so you can also argue that we have already paid to have it free... but that is an off point and hard to hold up.

• 2 weeks later...

For now at least, Jordan isn't in favor of turning the WAC parking lot into paid parking. Doesn't sound like many of the businesses on Dickson were for that especially considering the current economy. I suppose it's still possible at some time but not for now. It does sound like that at least they are still looking into doing something about the towing issue.

Archived