Welcome to New Deep South Section

monsoon

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little confused over the grouping. What about Mississippi? It seems a much better fit than Tennessee in grouping with the other states mentioned. Afterall, when I think of Mississippi, I recall the old plantations, the flat cotton lands, the oft-discussed racial divides, the blues, John Grisham and Oxford, the mores and customs-not to mention some of the southern mysteries that exist there. The same, but with perhaps to a lesser degree, goes for Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana, but I don't recall Tennessee being called the Deep South very often.

Our state is in a quandry when classifying it. West Tennessee (Memphis region) is a lot like parts of Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana. Nashville and Middle Tennessee is more like Kentucky, northern Alabama, and somewhat like southwest Virginia -- even southern Indiana to a degree. East Tennessee (Knoxville region) is like Western and Middle North Carolina, North Georgia.

I realize putting a label on us makes it convenient, but I just don't identify much with Lousiana or Mississippi.

I don't know. I just feel a bit misclassified here.

Ha, Marc. It's funny, I always refer to some neighborhoods between the historic Edgefield area (east) of Nashville and my neighborhood (five miles from the core) as Middle Earth, so I guess Southern Liviing hit on something with Middle South. And being in Middle Tennessee, I guess being outside of Middle Earth, in Middle Tennessee in the Middle South as a middle class person just suits me fine. Not many people might remember one of my old college anthems I'd sing on my way to pick up a bottle of fraternity "juice" during my old West Tennessee days, Steeler's Wheels' "Stuck In The Middle with You." I even went to college at a school often referred to as "Middle." (MTSU).

There seems to be so much going on in Nashville at the moment, and hopefully for a long time to come, that I'd appreciate a Nashville section. I'm working on tons of pictures, some of which have already been posted here by heckles (and I thank him for that), but on my travels around town, I try to capture the ever-changing face of the city from time to time. I even plan to do a photo study featuring some of your favorite subjects....people (and we do have some characters around here...whew).

Thanks again Marc. I'm glad to be here. I'm really having fun navigating around this site. It's great.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not add Mississippi, drop Tennessee and call this The Deep South?

Tennessee, with the exception of West Tennessee, is more mid-South or even upper South. I agree with Dave in his assessment of Tennessee's classification.

Perhaps Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia could be grouped together.

Archived