Greenville Wish List for 2009

Spartan

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread, Spartan! :thumbsup:

For 2009, I would like to see Greenville continue to buck the national trend when it comes to the economy. On a broad scale, continuing to add jobs - especially white collar, knowledge-based jobs - should be a priority. Strengthening our urban core should also continue to be important to area leaders, as it is a huge recruiting tool in addition to increasing quality of life for residents.

More specifically, here are some of my goals for 2009:

1. Completion of the Main at Broad construction. I know they are targeting a completion date of late 2009, and I hope they stick to that. This project has a big impact on that intersection architecturally, and I think it will add a lot to the pedestrian experience on the street level as well.

2. For construction to resume on the Peacock Hotel & Spa. I know that this is very much up in the air, but this is an important one to see progress on since construction is partially underway. It currently looks bad.

3. Groundbreaking for the Washington Square project. This will be HUGE for our urban core. These guys know what they are doing, and my hope is that their target groundbreaking date of spring 2009 will not be delayed more than 6 months.

4. I want to hear SOMETHING regarding two big projects: Gateway and the federal courthouse. I am still trying to be optimistic about the Gateway site, despite the developers having no real experience with something of this magnitude. The federal courthouse seemed to lose momentum after the decision makers seemed sold on the East North Street location. I still hope that site is chosen, as the other alternatives are not nearly as good.

5. To see a master plan developed for the Heritage Green/Pete Hollis area. I know that some improvements have been made, but that area has so much potential. I would want a main focus of the plan to include ways of better connecting that neighborhood to the Center City area.

6. To see the next phase of RiverPlace plans released - and perhaps see construction before the end of the year.

7. See an increased focus on entertainment venues in our urban core. We must continue to address fun things for young professionals in their 20s and 30s to do, as it will go a long way in making our city more appealing to young talent. One specific location is the former Rocks and Ropes building in the West End near the ballpark. I loved the plan to make that into an entertainment venue with concerts and other live performances, and hope that someone else will make something similar work there.

8. Create a master plan for the Midtown area, most notably Haywood Road. It is still a strong area, but it needs some TLC. Bury the power lines, plant more greenery, improve traffic flow at major intersections, and help new projects get off the ground there. It is still a very important area for shopping as well as medical, and we can't lose that.

9. Continue to improve public transit in our area. I expect to see the city make big strides in the bus service, increasing routes as well as total ridership. I also want to see an aggressive campaign for light rail. It's great to talk about, but we need to take major steps toward making it a reality - including getting the necessary funding from the federal government.

10. See some major announcements from the new city employee charged with recruiting more corporate headquarters downtown. The more workers we have downtown, the better our restaurants and retailers there will do. That will also hopefully mean more interest in downtown living.

11. More positive announcements for CU-ICAR.

12. At least one big economic development, such as a huge Fortune 500 company relocating to our area.

13. See Magnolia Park Town Center construction begin, with some great retailers on board new to Greenville and the state.

14. Improvements to GSP International, hopefully new flights and/or lower fares. I would also like to see a long-term plan for expansion and increased amenities.

15. See Greenville land the ACC Baseball Tournament at West End Field.

Here are a few of my wishes for Greenville in 2009:

1. SOMETHING happens at the Pinnacle at Main site.

2. Peacock Hotel resumes construction.

3. More retail comes to McBee Station.

4. Washington Square secures (a) tenant(s).

5. A new office or mixed-use development is announced for downtown.

6. Progress happens on the next phase of RiverPlace.

7. At least one infill project is announced for the West End in the way of new construction.

8. The Children's Museum opens.

9. ICAR continues to add jobs.

10. Millenium Campus lands a tenant.

Greenville mentioned several items on his wish list that I would include as well.

Ten important elements I wish for the City and surrounding metro area this year include:

1. Economic stability to be maintained by every possible method. The City has several tools available to help strengthen local businesses.

2. At least one major corporate announcement bringing hundreds of new white collar jobs to downtown.

3. Several large economic announcements bringing more than 2500 new jobs to the city.

4. Solid evidence that the City will begin to implement the necessary strategies to fulfill the goals described by the new downtown master plan

5. Enhancement of streetscaping throughout the downtown area, including better pedestrain access between Heritage Green, Main Street, and the BI-LO Center. Additional bike lanes need to be incorporated as well.

6. New trails and enhancements to existing ones need to be considered a high priority. I am pleased with the emphasis on building new trails along the Reedy River and hope to see improvements made to what is already constructed. Such improvements should include adequate lighting, benches, shelters, emergency phones, etc...

7. Continuation of urban renewal in the blighted areas surrounding the central downtown core. Similar efforts have been steady and successful in the West End and Hampton-Pinkney areas, with several other neighborhoods on the verge of renaissance as well.

8. The establishment or initial implementation of Greenville's regional tourism concept as laid out in the TRAC plan, including the groundbreaking of at least one of main visitor centers.

9. Skyrocketing international profile and interest in both ICAR and Millennium Campus.

10. Continued growth of the festivals hosted in the City.

My list:

1. Washington Square land a tenant and start construction. This will be the biggest change to the City Center since the work on Court Square that was coordinated with the Poinsett Hotel renovation.

2. Something to happen (positively) to the old Kimbrell's building.

3. A major change, development, something come to West Greenville's urban village. Maybe even just a better connection to the action of the West End/City Center...

4. Large CU-ICAR announcement/construction.

5. An announcement or construction for a new replacement for the old McChesney project at the Point's backdoor.

more to come...

• 9 months later...
My list:

1. Washington Square land a tenant and start construction. This will be the biggest change to the City Center since the work on Court Square that was coordinated with the Poinsett Hotel renovation.

2. Something to happen (positively) to the old Kimbrell's building.

3. A major change, development, something come to West Greenville's urban village. Maybe even just a better connection to the action of the West End/City Center...

4. Large CU-ICAR announcement/construction.

5. An announcement or construction for a new replacement for the old McChesney project at the Point's backdoor.

more to come...

• 2 months later...

Here are a few of my wishes for Greenville in 2009:

1. SOMETHING happens at the Pinnacle at Main site.

2. Peacock Hotel resumes construction.

3. More retail comes to McBee Station.

4. Washington Square secures (a) tenant(s).

5. A new office or mixed-use development is announced for downtown.

6. Progress happens on the next phase of RiverPlace.

7. At least one infill project is announced for the West End in the way of new construction.

8. The Children's Museum opens.

9. ICAR continues to add jobs.

10. Millenium Campus lands a tenant.

Archived