Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veloise

Freep series: cities, now and tomorrow

3 posts in this topic

Catching up on some reading, I stumbled across this op-ed piece.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081214/OPIN.../1069/opinion01

The author, Jeff Gerritt, was awarded a fellowship for editorial writing, and visited more than a dozen cities in '08.

"I got a first-hand look at how communities and governments are solving some of the great social problems of the 21st Century. These so-called urban problems -- transportation, poverty, public safety, education, sustainable economic development, housing -- are about more than cities. They're really national problems that we can go a long way toward solving as a nation if we fix them in our centers of population, culture and commerce.

I'm more optimistic now -- not just because the nation has elected a president who understands the importance of cities, but because I've seen how local leaders, working together as a region, have already made a huge difference."

Lots of good stuff here.

Catching up on some reading, I stumbled across this op-ed piece.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081214/OPIN.../1069/opinion01

The author, Jeff Gerritt, was awarded a fellowship for editorial writing, and visited more than a dozen cities in '08.

"I got a first-hand look at how communities and governments are solving some of the great social problems of the 21st Century. These so-called urban problems -- transportation, poverty, public safety, education, sustainable economic development, housing -- are about more than cities. They're really national problems that we can go a long way toward solving as a nation if we fix them in our centers of population, culture and commerce.

I'm more optimistic now -- not just because the nation has elected a president who understands the importance of cities, but because I've seen how local leaders, working together as a region, have already made a huge difference."

Lots of good stuff here.

Wow, that was so well reasoned, thoughtful and logical it's hard to believe it came from the Detroit Free Press.

Thanks for the link !!!