Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CorgiMatt

Columbia's Skate Park

28 posts in this topic

The State is wrong. Spartanburg is supposed to get SC's first skate park. Of course, if they manage to build this one first, then the honor would go to Columbia.

I'm not thrilled about the location at Owens Field.

Are we talking about the state's first outdoor skate park? If not, We already have two very nice indoor parks in the Upstate - both in Greenville... No Name Skate Park (website) and Ximeno's / Skate Park Of Greenville (website)

Edit: The article indicates that it would be the state's first "custom concrete park." I can understand the reasoning behind building it out of concrete, since it will be exposed to all kinds of weather.

Would've been cool if this could have been a part of the Innovista masterplan.

Would've been cool if this could have been a part of the Innovista masterplan.

Are we talking about the state's first outdoor skate park?

Skateboard parks used to be all the rave back in the 70's. I remember one on Decker Blvd. in Columbia. It's funny how new generations think they've invented something that never existed before.

^I'm not a skater by any means, but the concept looks pretty cool.

^I'm not a skater by any means, but the concept looks pretty cool.

Very cool design.

I've been to the indoor facility at Plex a few times, and it always looks to me to be a little too crowded, so I'm sure they'll be happy to I've some nice outdoor space.

Metlife, Owens Field Park is so named for the airport across the street from it:

Columbia Owens Downtown Airport

Skateboard parks used to be all the rave back in the 70's. I remember one on Decker Blvd. in Columbia. It's funny how new generations think they've invented something that never existed before.

I think the best place for a new skate park should be where the old bus barn was. its pretty big and haves a good view of the city skyline. also i see kids skate there now.

I think the best place for a new skate park should be where the old bus barn was. its pretty big and haves a good view of the city skyline. also i see kids skate there now.

^Precisely. That's simply not the place for a skate park.

The State Museum, Riverbanks Zoo, the SC Aquarium, etc. also draw people from surrounding states and can be said to "set the standard" for museums, zoos, and aquariums in South Carolina, but they are appropriately discussed in the forums of the cities in which they are located. Furthermore, skateboarding isn't really a subject that deserves its own thread in the South Carolina forum like economic developments. However, it is appropriate for the statewide tourism thread or some sort of general statewide sports thread.

If the State Museum, Riverbanks, the South Carolina Aquarium or any other entity has an event or exhibit that everyone in the state should know about, then there's no reason the event should not be posted in a thread about South Carolina culture and entertainment or whatever. Statewide appeal is statewide appeal, like the powdery snow we just got.

If the State Museum, Riverbanks, the South Carolina Aquarium or any other entity has an event or exhibit that everyone in the state should know about, then there's no reason the event should not be posted in a thread about South Carolina culture and entertainment or whatever. Statewide appeal is statewide appeal, like the powdery snow we just got.

"We've been waiting for this. They're building these everywhere else except in South Carolina," said Hank Biering, who brought four carloads of people from Charleston for the grand opening of "South Carolina's first (skateboard) facility." Maybe in the future some of those guys you see competing nationally on the sports channels on Sunday afternoon will have learned everything they know about skateboarding in South Carolina.

http://www.thestate.com/2010/03/07/1189689/skateboarders-come-out-in-droves.html

"We've been waiting for this. They're building these everywhere else except in South Carolina," said Hank Biering, who brought four carloads of people from Charleston for the grand opening of "South Carolina's first (skateboard) facility." Maybe in the future some of those guys you see competing nationally on the sports channels on Sunday afternoon will have learned everything they know about skateboarding in South Carolina.

http://www.thestate.com/2010/03/07/1189689/skateboarders-come-out-in-droves.html