Charlotte Sports Complex (Bojangles Coliseum area)

HopHead

I'll start. I would not change anything about either of our existing stadiums.

BoA Stadium is in the ideal spot for a stadium of it's size. It is accessible to the heart of the city [and the amenities located therein] without being overly intrusive to connectivity or the existing neighborhood. It is visible and accessible to highways for fans who may be nervous about city driving. It is displayed prominently and with pride, on television and in person, as part of the city of Charlotte. The residents of Charlotte assumed the urbanist liability of such a massive structure, but the positive community uses leveed by the structure far outweighs the liability.

TWC Arena was built with a progressive and thoughtful design that took into account the impact on Trade Street, an excellent public plaza that acts as an extension to two forms of public transit - and even encourages use of transit by omitting specific onsite parking. The many terraces and balconies on the Arena are thoughtful design features that further connect the structure to it's vibrant environment. The need for loading zones was mitigated thoughtfully via Caldwell St. Again, the assumed urbanist liability of such a massive structure is leveed by the positive community uses.

The proposed Baseball stadium will be just another piece of the puzzle to be figured out. Since no designs are available yet, there is no way to comment on whether it is suited for it's location. But considering the rousing success of the other two arenas on the livelihood of the city, we should assume this stadium will be a blessing for the citizens of Charlotte. If the proposed site of this stadium were to move forward as is, I would hope they would take the same thoughtful considerations for ground level retail, minimal disruption of the urban street grid, and reuse of brownfields. If the site were to be up for debate, I would suggest the former Ryan Homes West Morehead site - still convenient to the heart of the city, to transit options, underused, and non disruptive of an existing neighborhood.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While no urban paradise, there were a few independent businesses removed from where the stadium is now. One friend of the family ran a theater supply business, who, ironically had been relocated from "Theater Row" on Church Street due to other progressive plans. (I believe his old location was where the vacant lot beside Latta Arcade is now.) He was forced to close down his new location after his land was sold for the stadium.

There was also a thriving service station at the corner of Morehead and Mint I used to sell parts to.

A little late on the response here, but I was able to get this image, which is Third Ward in 1990, pre-Panthers. This is almost 20 years ago.

3rdward1990.png

Wow, I had no idea this topic would become so popular when I created it :) After reading through some of these posts and giving it some more thought, I really do like the placement of the current sporting venues in Charlotte. The arena is in an ideal place given it's multi-use purpose and access to the light rail and EpiCentre. BofA stadium is in a nice semi-isolated spot which is good for an NFL stadium. After thinking about it some more, I think the placement of the proposed Knights stadium could be different. I'd like to keep the area originally designated as a park as is and not put the stadium there. I think perhaps a better spot may be the Morehead/Clarkson street area inside 277 near BofA stadium. It still puts the stadium in uptown and it probably puts it on a bigger lot (I'm just guessing here) in case the day comes where Charlotte can actually land an MLB team 10-15 yrs down the road. And, if done correctly I think you can build a viable shopping/restaurant/bar district here. The only disdvantage though here is that it puts it further away from the light rail, so parking could be an issue.

The proposed Baseball stadium will be just another piece of the puzzle to be figured out. Since no designs are available yet, there is no way to comment on whether it is suited for it's location. But considering the rousing success of the other two arenas on the livelihood of the city, we should assume this stadium will be a blessing for the citizens of Charlotte. If the proposed site of this stadium were to move forward as is, I would hope they would take the same thoughtful considerations for ground level retail, minimal disruption of the urban street grid, and reuse of brownfields.

The vacant land at the proposed uptown baseball park site was the passenger station and freight depot for the P&N Railroad from 1910 or so until 1968. Not sure if there is any contamination on the site, nor what was there pre 1910. The line was electrified until the last 10 years or so before abandonment when it went diesel, so not sure if there was any onsite underground diesel fuel storage.

• 9 months later...

I know the press conference was last week, so it's somewhat old news...but the ACC Football Championship coming to Charlotte is a huge, huge, huge deal. With the Jacksonville site ('05, '06, '07, '08) widely accepted as an utter failure...the move to Charlotte next year is perfectly setup to be a huge success.

"It’s unanimous: Everybody wants the Atlantic Coast Conference football championship to stay in Charlotte long after its initial two-year commitment ends in 2011."

LINK: ACC Comish John Swofford: “We’re here for two years. We would like nothing better than to be here for a lot longer.”

Having the ACC Championship here permanently will be a HUGE coup for this area. We're centrally located and having such a big name event tagged with the city will be a boon, indeed. Does this mean the Tire Bowl is going away?

Nope. They will keep that bowl game. The idea is to have both the ACC Championship and the Meinke Bowl game as well... Quite honestly, I'd love to see us do a kick off type thing similar to what the Georgia Dome does now where they pit the SEC vs the ACC. Maybe we could do something like the Big 10 vs. the ACC.

Story in Charlotte Business Journal this morning about a proposal to build a new arena in Matthews with the Checkers as the anchor tenant.

I have mixed feelings as I am uncertain if I would head out there to catch a game, though I do note it is right in the spot of a proposed silver line lrt/brt stop.

Yuck!

If the burbs were a bad move for the Knights, why would the Checkers think that they are different?

I second moving the Checkers to the suburbs as being a bad idea. We all know how well that's worked out for the Knights. Personally, I think suburban sports venues in general are a bad idea. Basically b/c it isolates the team for the most part from the rest of the metro area. Aside from hockey in Arizona being a bad idea, putting the Phoenix Coyotes' arena in suburban Glendale has been a disaster for the team and ownership. While TWCA may be too big for the Checkers, I see no reason why they shouldn't consider Bojangles Coliseum.

On another note, does anyone know much about this "sportsplex" or whatever they are calling it for Matthews? I know the 8,000 seat arena along with other retail components are part of it. What else is being proposed? Anyone seen renderings?

This must be a trend for minor league hockey teams. Columbia's minor league team, the Inferno, is planning on building its own stadium out in the 'burbs too. Guess everybody has to have their own brand new venue.

But I don't think I can say that sports teams in suburban venues are all totally bad. This may be a somewhat big exception due to the population distribution of the Metroplex, but look at the Cowboys in their awesome new facility in Arlington. Closer to home, check out some of the minor league teams in suburban Gwinnett in metro Atlanta that, as far as I know, are doing well for themselves.

Major league franchises in a downtown area are a HUGE deal, IMO. Not so much minor league hockey and such...but for an NFL franchise, it's huge. One of the biggest things going for the Carolina franchise.

When I have friends down from D.C. it's one of the first things they comment on. Fed Ex Field (and many like it) are essentially "concrete islands" with nothing but parking lots within walking distance. It might be good for the team (increased profits), but it is bad for the fans and the city.

There is absolutely nothing like taking a $10 cab to the stadium on gameday...tailgating all day...going to the game...and then catching a $10 cab back home. Or walking to a nearby bar/restaurant for dinner.

Bank of America Stadium downtown is one of Charlotte's biggest attractions. Literally.

And this ACC deal is going to make it even better.

Seems that there was enough bad community reaction to the idea of the Checkers moving to Matthews as the owner publicly dismissed reports.

Checkers have no plans to leave uptown arena

That said, I noticed a lot of people on different websites commenting that a move to Bojangles wouldn't be a bad idea as many enjoyed seeing games there before.

Major league franchises in a downtown area are a HUGE deal, IMO. Not so much minor league hockey and such...but for an NFL franchise, it's huge. One of the biggest things going for the Carolina franchise.

When I have friends down from D.C. it's one of the first things they comment on. Fed Ex Field (and many like it) are essentially "concrete islands" with nothing but parking lots within walking distance. It might be good for the team (increased profits), but it is bad for the fans and the city.

There is absolutely nothing like taking a $10 cab to the stadium on gameday...tailgating all day...going to the game...and then catching a $10 cab back home. Or walking to a nearby bar/restaurant for dinner.

Bank of America Stadium downtown is one of Charlotte's biggest attractions. Literally.

And this ACC deal is going to make it even better.

I hear more people complain about NFL stadiums being out in the burbs than anything. I have friends that go to Patriots games in Foxboro and say it's a nightmare. It's in the middle of nowhere and they just hate the game day experience there. Same with FedEx field as you mentioned. I've been there twice before and say no thanks... It takes you forever and a day to get out of there. Where BofA Stadium is, it's a perfect location.... As far as the Gwinnett Braves go, they ended up like 6th or 7th (out of 10 teams?) in the league attendance. I'm sure that's hardly what they wanted for their taxpayer funded suburban facility. Though, you can go drive 30 minutes and see the major league Braves for $1 on a Sunday.

• 3 years later...

This is the most comparable thread I could find, but I had no clue they were building a 7,000 seat stadium in Matthews at their new Sportsplex.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/03/22/3927965/matthews-sportsplex-features-12.html

A 7,000 seat stadium is pretty decent sized. I know many of us here have talked about the prospect of brining an MLS team to Charlotte.  If anyone has a little more insight, does this stadium have the possibility of being expanded in the future?  It'd certainly be a lot cheaper (I imagine) than a reno at Memorial Stadium.  Being that it is out in Matthews, I'd imagine there is more room for said expansion and it'd be a great place for the location.  Not to get all hypothetical here, but imagine in 15-20 years, hopping on the Independence light rail line out to Matthews to catch a Charlotte MLS game?  I'd be down with that.

^^ I know.. I know...

I love CLT, but this town has a loooooong way to go to even build local (non-parishioner) support & culture for it's USL team..  to even think of MLS in Charlotte at this juncture is silly .

Both teams are on their 21st season and  just compare...

Richmond's 21st Season Opener Excitement..

splash.jpg

(vs)

Charlotte's 21st Season Opener Excitement

Website%20Template%20Graphic%20jpg.jpg

In RVA, we can't wait to get out on the pitch and get rowdy!

^Having lived in both places, you know as well as I do that the sports landscapes are completely different. In Charlotte you have the NFL, NBA, AHL Hockey and AAA Baseball, in addition to Major League Lacrosse, USL Soccer, PGA Golf Tournaments, 3 NASCAR races, etc. In Richmond, the biggest thing there is AA Baseball, the Kickers, NASCAR and more recently VCU basketball. They have less things to choose from so they are going to dedicate more resources to those sports. All that being said, yes Charlotte does have a ways to go in terms of supporting soccer at the professional level. Then again, so do most cities in this country. Also throw in the whole Christian thing with the franchise, I think some people are put off by it... 

to even think of MLS in Charlotte at this juncture is silly .

Yes, thank you.  Honestly, I view cities that cry they want an MLS team as naive.  Usually, these are not soccer fans, but just people that want a shiny stadium and assume that if you have a soccer team it must be in MLS.  And you have to understand that team owners will mention "MLS aspirations" to generate hope and buzz... and investments from naive municipalities (Atlanta, Minneapolis).

If Charlotte is serious about professional soccer, they should strive to attract an owner willing to establish an expansion franchise in NASL.

Archived