I10 widening to start tomorrow!

all2neat

When the westbank grows more, and I have reason to believe it will, they will probably be at least a little in favor of a new bridge.

Eventually the Atchafalaya Basin bridge will need it as well, traffic already gets pretty heavy and often comes to a dead stop.

I think a better solution to this could be some sort of middle elevated "carpool" deck, both for the Basin Bridge and the spillway. Trucks cause the majority of slowdowns and there are plenty of drivers content driving 60 mph, or are on their own. The elevated lane should have no exits, and should be a direct bypass over each body of water.

I personally would even be willing to pay a toll to use it. I also believe that construction wise, it would be easier than adding a 3rd lane to each bridge.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a better solution to this could be some sort of middle elevated "carpool" deck, both for the Basin Bridge and the spillway. Trucks cause the majority of slowdowns and there are plenty of drivers content driving 60 mph, or are on their own. The elevated lane should have no exits, and should be a direct bypass over each body of water.

I personally would even be willing to pay a toll to use it. I also believe that construction wise, it would be easier than adding a 3rd lane to each bridge.

I would like that as well, but if anything we need that in our urban areas first. In my experience, trucks cause the traffic WB but EB the traffic comes from passenger vehicles. I think most trucks are concentrated on I-12.

Also, I don't see many people going 60 on I-10, the speed limit is 70 going to New Orleans. And we all should know about the strictly enforced 60mph on the Basin bridge.

Between BR and NOLA people drive like maniacs. Not uncommon to see 80+ mph. 

On the basin bridge, I find trucks do a pretty good job of staying in the right lane only, as the signage instructs them. If only the other slowpokes would get out of the fast lane, it would flow just fine. 

Between BR and NOLA people drive like maniacs. Not uncommon to see 80+ mph. 

On the basin bridge, I find trucks do a pretty good job of staying in the right lane only, as the signage instructs them. If only the other slowpokes would get out of the fast lane, it would flow just fine. 

That's because deputies and State boys enforce the laws strictly and they know that. There is no fast lane on the bridge, unless your feeling lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

They should at least extend the "exit only" lane from Washington Street all the way to the Dalrymple Exit. Give people 8 more seconds to figure out what they're doing. It's not like anything so special would be damaged by extending that lane a little farther. I think if people were allowed that extra time to merge, traffic coming around the curve on 10 EB wouldn't back up so badly. 

It wouldn't be a cure, but maybe a band aid. 

They should at least extend the "exit only" lane from Washington Street all the way to the Dalrymple Exit. Give people 8 more seconds to figure out what they're doing. It's not like anything so special would be damaged by extending that lane a little farther. I think if people were allowed that extra time to merge, traffic coming around the curve on 10 EB wouldn't back up so badly.

Extending a exit lane on a interstate isn't cheap.

They also need to extend the west bound Dalrymple on ramp to the Louise Street exit. The turn on the ramp is too sharp so you can't pick up speed and when you finally can, you're going up a hill with no time to merge. But the main reason is that people that live in that area use that route to cut from Dalrymple to Louise street rather than using surface streets. I watch cars fighting to merge at that point back up traffic all the time only to watch them get off at the Louise Street exit. 

I think resolving that, and like Garrett said, extending the Washington exit lane to Dalrymple would help significantly. Other than that, there are simply to many exit and entrance ramps along this portion of interstate, widening wont help, because traffic slows as more cars enter the roadway. Traffic also slows as cars switch lanes to either stay on 10 or exit to 110. 

Now about that lone Horace Wilkinson and dangerous I-110 interchange.

Instead of adding lanes, I wish they would consider decking the interstate. Im not sure if that is logistically possible, but to me it makes more sense instead of widening the elevated sections.

Extending a exit lane on a interstate isn't cheap.

That all depends on what you're comparing it to. 

Consider your other alternatives to help traffic on that corridor. Double decking, or widening the entire thing to 8 lanes and fighting many wealthy property and business owners along the way, or building a bypass route, complete with new bridge over the Mississippi...

Extending that lane starting to sound cheap yet? 

I'd like to see the Washington Street exit totally eliminated and have the Dalrymple Exit extended. I've seen people traveling southbound on I-110 try to exit at Washington Street and everytime I see it, I cringe hoping I don't see a major accident. Anyone needing to get somewhere by using the Washington Street exit can do so by getting off at Govt Street or Dalrymple. I know the locals in that area don't want to hear that, but oh well. I'm looking at it from a safety standpoint and a way of getting the traffic off the bridge flowing better.

That all depends on what you're comparing it to.

Consider your other alternatives to help traffic on that corridor. Double decking, or widening the entire thing to 8 lanes and fighting many wealthy property and business owners along the way, or building a bypass route, complete with new bridge over the Mississippi...

Extending that lane starting to sound cheap yet?

Extending a exit lane won't do a thing. Washington St exit needs to be closed and a third lane needs to be added from the bridge to the College on ramp.

Extending a exit lane won't do a thing. Washington St exit needs to be closed and a third lane needs to be added from the bridge to the College on ramp.

Closing Washington Street would probably be a part of the plan to extend that lane. 

As someone who crossed that bridge daily for many years, I can say that nearly every day I passed in that area, someone nearly caused an accident, either by flying around the curve to get around traffic and merge just before the exit, or by not knowing they're in an exit only lane until nearly too late, and making an impromptu merge. If the lane ended at Dalrymple, traffic would have extra half mile to get over. 

Eight lanes between College and the river isn't going to happen. 

I was thinking a new bridge next to the current one.

I agree, or even better a completely new modern one capable of handling the traffic for the next several decades. (Both of which will never happen)

But from the bridge to Acadian where most of the interstate is already elevated...thats where I think a double deck would be effective.

Archived