Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

I was bored waiting for the game to start, and saw Toz's pic of Wachovia from southend, and decided to used some simple photoshop, stamp tool and paintbrush to finish Wells Corp. Just some down and dirty photoshop, so sorry if its not the best.

Before

post-17104-1233532053_thumb.jpg

After

post-17104-1233532098_thumb.jpg

Where we are in the progress.

post-17104-1233532744_thumb.jpg

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was bored waiting for the game to start, and saw Toz's pic of Wachovia from southend, and decided to used some simple photoshop, stamp tool and paintbrush, and finished wachovia to show how much we have to go. Just some down and dirty photoshop, so sorry if its not the best.

Before

post-17104-1233532053_thumb.jpg

After

post-17104-1233532098_thumb.jpg

Nice job!

As of 7:30, lights were being tested on the chamfered corner of the tower that faces The Green. It consisted of about 3 floors of color changing LED fixtures quickly scrolling through the entire color spectrum in unison.

The system looks to be made up of two evenly spaced fixtures mounted at each floor line, casting light up against the curtain wall and adjacent faces of the white corner massing. There are mounting brackets on every floor so it looks like each of the 4 chamfered corners will be lit this way from bottom to top. Should look nice.

As of 7:30, lights were being tested on the chamfered corner of the tower that faces The Green. It consisted of about 3 floors of color changing LED fixtures quickly scrolling through the entire color spectrum in unison.

The system looks to be made up of two evenly spaced fixtures mounted at each floor line, casting light up against the curtain wall and adjacent faces of the white corner massing. There are mounting brackets on every floor so it looks like each of the 4 chamfered corners will be lit this way from bottom to top. Should look nice.

i saw this as i was coming home tonight...quite unexpected on this tower i thought, and probably something that will only be used on special occasions, but the display possibilities for a system like that are endless!

So with only a few floors to go, it looks like they have begun to take their time finishing this puppy up. I could see a point behind slowing down mid-construction, but they are almost done with the shell, doesn't seem to make much sense to stop now. Then again, look at the Park.

So with only a few floors to go, it looks like they have begun to take their time finishing this puppy up. I could see a point behind slowing down mid-construction, but they are almost done with the shell, doesn't seem to make much sense to stop now. Then again, look at the Park.

I agree, they are taking their sweet old time with this puppy. There are still more than a few floors to go however, now that I have more detailed photos to count from. After doing some observing. The angle goes left a notch per floor, so that means 3-4 more left on the shorter part. And, after looking at IntialD's pictures from the other direction it looks like 8-9 floors left on the taller side. So 8-9 visual floors until this thing is completely topped out and only 3-4 floors until the office space is topped out. GREAT SHOTS WestCoastNC

I agree, they are taking their sweet old time with this puppy. There are still more than a few floors to go however, now that I have more detailed photos to count from. After doing some observing. The angle goes left a notch per floor, so that means 3-4 more left on the shorter part. And, after looking at IntialD's pictures from the other direction it looks like 8-9 floors left on the taller side. So 8-9 visual floors until this thing is completely topped out and only 3-4 floors until the office space is topped out. GREAT SHOTS WestCoastNC

I made a post earlier regarding the tower being held up for about a month, what I should have said was steel erection would hold for a month, which this time is about up. I believe we will see more activity at the top now. The lighting sounds like it could be alot of fun, but I still feel what it must have been like when the Empire State Building opened amid the great depression.

I made a post earlier regarding the tower being held up for about a month, what I should have said was steel erection would hold for a month, which this time is about up. I believe we will see more activity at the top now. The lighting sounds like it could be alot of fun, but I still feel what it must have been like when the Empire State Building opened amid the great depression.
Oh my, don't bring up the Empire state building. It was hit by an airplane 14 years after it was built. Let's hope Wells/Wachovia/Whatever has better luck than that.

I was at the Wachovia site yesterday on my bicycle, and the glass and white siding running vertically along the corners of the building looks quite sharp!!! I have also noticed the "V" shape created by the top steel floors. I think this tower will be Charlotte's best looking building at night. I am not sure about the daytime look, but so far I am more impressed with the real thing than any of the renderings I've seen. The two different shades of blue on the windows are impressive. I can't wait to see the handle on top!!!

As for the Condo Tower, I still see it on the site photos posted near the site. I know this doesn't mean much, but my guess is if the condo was officially "dead", they would not advertise it in a photo. From what I have heard, the condo will be the last to rise if built at all.

Oh my, don't bring up the Empire state building. It was hit by an airplane 14 years after it was built. Let's hope Wells/Wachovia/Whatever has better luck than that....
The plane hit was related to WWII. Probably not likely to be repeated to be repeated in Charlotte. However on the analogy, it should be noted that it took close to two decades before he Empire State Building was rented out enough to actually start turning a profit. It was routinely derided as the Empty State Building. i.e. a folly that was not needed. It was the profits from selling tickets to the observation deck that helped keep the building operating. Some years this equaled the rent collected. As we know the Wachovia tower lacks, unfortunately, this feature.

Anyone know how the "handle" is supposed to be integrated into this design?

Am I right in thinking that the base of the handle will sit directly on top of the

"core" at it's current height? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Wells_0208b.jpg

Here is a crude diagram of how the top will work.

handlecloseup.jpg

The handle will be attached to the taller part of the building's set of angles. Hopefully this gives you a better idea. I'll make better diagram if you want.

Hello Everyone! I'm new to the boards here. I was uptown last evening and noticed there were a few differnt colored spots lights shining on the new Wachovia/Wells Frago Skyscraper.I looked pretty cool. It believe the colors were blue, red, green amd yellow. They seemed to be attached to the building abround the 12th floor. Does anyone know if this is a permanent item?

Hello Everyone! I'm new to the boards here. I was uptown last evening and noticed there were a few differnt colored spots lights shining on the new Wachovia/Wells Frago Skyscraper.I looked pretty cool. It believe the colors were blue, red, green amd yellow. They seemed to be attached to the building abround the 12th floor. Does anyone know if this is a permanent item?

Not sure. Is Charlotte going to be the next Hong Kong? Can we have a light show every evening too? Here's video of the light testing courtesy of jruckman.

Not sure. Is Charlotte going to be the next Hong Kong? Can we have a light show every evening too? Here's video of the light testing courtesy of jruckman.

Thanks for the video. That is a really bold lighting theme. IMO, it's exactly what the city needs, a little spice in the figuratively and somewhat literally beige city. I can't see them going all the way up, though; the tower would be a disco ball at night. Anyone know if there have been any rezoning petitions filed or if they are even needed to have these lights? I know there was the rezoning petition in order for the Arts Campus to have that big motion screen outside and I'm thinking these two types of "visual entertainment" would be perceived similarly.

Thanks for the video. That is a really bold lighting theme. IMO, it's exactly what the city needs, a little spice in the figuratively and somewhat literally beige city. I can't see them going all the way up, though; the tower would be a disco ball at night. Anyone know if there have been any rezoning petitions filed or if they are even needed to have these lights? I know there was the rezoning petition in order for the Arts Campus to have that big motion screen outside and I'm thinking these two types of "visual entertainment" would be perceived similarly.

my hope is that they DO go all the way up, but are normally used in more simple ways than they are in these tests. all four corners of the building, lit up with white or blue, or slowly rotating colors, but on special occasions the display possibilities would be endless.

my hope is that they DO go all the way up, but are normally used in more simple ways than they are in these tests. all four corners of the building, lit up with white or blue, or slowly rotating colors, but on special occasions the display possibilities would be endless.

By naked eye observation, it appears that the fixtures for these lights go all the way up the corners of the tower. I really hope it goes all the way up. That said, the northern Tryon-facing corner only had five of the six lights lit up tonight. I hope they don't already have issues with the lights. It would be a shame if such a great idea was plagued with wiring issues.

Archived