Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

No way that crane or whatever it is stays in view like that. It will either fold down as some have said or will fit in the gap between the handle. Either way, there is just no chance they stick an ugly piece of machinery in the focal point of this tower.

As a NYC resident I can assure you that TONS of towers in NYC have these window washing units out 365 days a year.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I cannot wait until I get to drive through Charlotte and see this building added to the skyline complete. This is taller than any other building except Bank of America tower if I am correct, but the furious pace of construction uptown will ensure it doesn't stay that way long. Charlotte's business district is really sprouting and looking more dense now with each passing day. Now if we could just get Trump to go ahead with his condo tower it would really be a boost for Charlotte.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the Trump project anytime soon, or for a new tallest or second-tallest for that matter.

I'm not, my comments were just that, casual comments. I was speaking generically and also of eventuality. Long term for modern, fast-growing cities is 5 years+ (that's short for me). While the lousy economy has dampened things, it really hasn't depressed new construction as much as people think. Construction continues in Charlotte and other fast growth cities. Hopefully within a few years the real estate bust will have corrected and we will see more high rise condos sprout in uptown and South End (hopefully eventually a Trump tower). I hope I will be able to see it take place.

I'm not, my comments were just that, casual comments. I was speaking generically and also of eventuality. Long term for modern, fast-growing cities is 5 years+ (that's short for me). While the lousy economy has dampened things, it really hasn't depressed new construction as much as people think. Construction continues in Charlotte and other fast growth cities. Hopefully within a few years the real estate bust will have corrected and we will see more high rise condos sprout in uptown and South End (hopefully eventually a Trump tower). I hope I will be able to see it take place.

Most of the construction we're seeing here was already planned before the bust happened. I think that in the coming years, we'll see more lowrise and midrise residential as opposed to highrise, which, IMO, is more preferential.

I think that in the coming years, we'll see more lowrise and midrise residential as opposed to highrise, which, IMO, is more preferential.

I've visited other sites before and on the Charlotte skyline topics there are some who believe the skyline needs more lowrise and midrise buildings. I agree with that, because if you see the Atlanta skyline there are many lowrise and midrise buildings that give the skyline more depth.

Well... they didn't.

It could have been such an iconic moment as well.. A brilliant spectacle towering over the playing field, with a national audience, illuminating the night sky. Could have happened with the singing of the National Anthem; the first Panther score; oe even during a halftime light show "Sponsored by Duke Energy"...

Alas, another blown opportunity by one of our esteemed Fortune 500 giants.

It takes a while to program a system like that. There are hundreds of lights, each with their own set of multiple attributes, so they are probably still working on getting that work completed. I'm sure they'll be up and running soon.

Most of the construction we're seeing here was already planned before the bust happened. I think that in the coming years, we'll see more lowrise and midrise residential as opposed to highrise, which, IMO, is more preferential.

Totally agree with you there. The one good thing about a piece of humble pie is it brings you back down to earth. So now Charlotte can get those infill midrise neighborhoods. I hope the focus turns to building more contextual housing than making a vertical statement. When the time is right then reach for the clouds but not when there is som much room in the uptown area for midrise and lowrise growth. One thing I'm looking out for is an actual eye-catching connection from uptown to southend; Charlotte needs a secondary skyline.....

I noticed when driving home during rush hour today that the lights on the top of the handle were being tested again.

I noticed it too on the Mecklenburg Air Quality Webcam. I check this camera often because it offers a great skyline view and it looked as if the V (slope part of DEC) was lit up in green. I still think that the skyline needs more color and I think that green would look great on the DEC.

I was driving south on I-77 yesterday for the first time in a long time and I gotta say that this building's side profile is so awesome. It's so distinct from the side and will be an iconic building in our city for a long time to come. I love that it's so different from the BOA tower (which is beautiful, too).

I was driving south on I-77 yesterday for the first time in a long time and I gotta say that this building's side profile is so awesome. It's so distinct from the side and will be an iconic building in our city for a long time to come. I love that it's so different from the BOA tower (which is beautiful, too).

What are the odds they turn the lights on for this Sunday nights Panther game...NBC prime time...?

Forgot to mention this earlier... When I was headed uptown for the Bobcats game on Tuesday night, I saw that they were testing the top portion of the DEC tower. It looked like a giant "V" and was all blue. Very cool actually. The handle didn't look to be lit up though. So, I suspect it's possible it may be lit up for the Sunday night game.

Overall I think it's a stunner and a fantastic addition to our skyline. The handle on top does bug me a little though. I get a thermos vibe, like someone can come along pick it up and carry it around.

I remember when this building was first proposed i saw a similar comment about the handle, somewhere along the lines where the handle would make it easy for wachovia to pick up and move the headquarters elsewhere, which is really ironic looking at it now...

^ i wouldn't read too much into the word "computerized" though, i think it just means that it will have different programmable color schemes like we've seen in the sides and "V" portion already, its probably still just light cast onto the white surface. i know they've tested the handle but i didn't see it. in any case i can't wait to see all parts working at once!

Archived