Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

I remember when this building was first proposed i saw a similar comment about the handle, somewhere along the lines where the handle would make it easy for wachovia to pick up and move the headquarters elsewhere, which is really ironic looking at it now...

I keep calling it a Lettuce Shredder myself

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flying into Charlotte from the south, Duke Fargovia is really the focal point of the skyline. Several people around me on the plane ooed and ahhed at the new building, and several more remarked on how they had no idea Charlotte was so much bigger than Tampa (it's not, population-wise anyway). North Tryon? Not so much.

Having not been home for nearly a year, I was as impressed with the addition to the south part of uptown as I was disappointed with The Vue. From the sky and the airport, it looks like just another big ass beige building.

The Vue doesn't have the most ground-breaking design, but beige it is not:

4041040329_a351a9680d.jpg

I think by beige he means vanilla, or ordinary. Like when we call Met Midtown Beige, its not just for the color, its for the general blandness of the project. Vue is not finished yet so I will not yet call it "beige."

I think by beige he means vanilla, or ordinary. Like when we call Met Midtown Beige, its not just for the color, its for the general blandness of the project. Vue is not finished yet so I will not yet call it "beige."

He clearly referenced the color when he said, "I know it's colored glass, but on a crisp, clear day it looked little different in color from Hearst or BoA." I don't get that one.

He clearly referenced the color when he said, "I know it's colored glass, but on a crisp, clear day it looked little different in color from Hearst or BoA." I don't get that one.

Yea I saw that right after I posted it, didn't feel like changing it though. He apparently needs to just come closer into town, he must be seeing it from WAY far away, because its clearly blue all the way up to Wendover and Providence, where its visible behind BOA.

it is not a window washing thing. it is a crane. i have seen them working on the bottom of the handle with it. it will come down when they are finished.

Yeah, I have seen it extended. I never really thought it was the window washer. I'm just wondering how they get it down without the tower crane!

it is not a window washing thing. it is a crane. i have seen them working on the bottom of the handle with it. it will come down when they are finished.

I hope you're right, but others on here have said otherwise. I don't see them taking something this large off of the tower when the large (blue) construction crane is no longer there to do it.

It is absolutely, positively, without a doubt a window washing unit. They are on every new tower in New York City, just as conspicuous as this one is. There have also been numerous articles about the Australian made window washing unit, most of which have probably been posted on here. It has been seen extended because it has to extend to wash the windows on the extreme angle. It will not come down now, it will not come down in the future, it will not come down Ever.

for instance here is the one on Trump International in Chicago. 3812085298_f20b705d7b_b.jpg

It is absolutely positively a window washing unit. They are on every new tower in New York City, as conspicuous as this one is. There have also been numerous articles about the Australian made window washing unit. It will not come down now, it will not come down in the future.

for instance here is the one on Trump International in Chicago. 3812085298_f20b705d7b_b.jpg

One bryant park in NYC has two, both you can see when in use.

1_Bryant_Park_w-8923.jpg

It doesn't come down. It recesses back into the building.

Man I hope so! Somehow it doesn't seem quite as intrusive when it just sits at the top of a building as it does in this case sitting in the skywindow!

I wouldn't think windows in Charlotte would need to be cleaned as often as Chicago and NYC, either. Hopefully.

and sadly, it appears we will have to get use to the site of this ugly window washing unit sticking up under the handle forever. From the attached photo. it doesn't appear to me that it can be recessed or hidden out of view. That's really too bad (IMO) as it really damages the aesthetics of this otherwise stunning building.

post-9912-12624008568836_thumb.jpg

A crane is permanently installed to allow workers to be lowered onto the sloped glass faces of the upper stories beneath the handle.

So does that mean that ugly-ass thing will always be visible after all?

It looks like there is a 'siding' that goes off into the corner (toward BoACC). Maybe they can park it there and at least get it partly out of view, at least not park it right smack in the the middle.

I don't understand the design of this building now. The whole point of the handle design is to draw your attention to the top of the building. We can all marvel at that beautifully constructed crane everyday. What a sight to behold!

Man, I hope they light it up so we can enjoy the crane at night, too.

I think you have it right JayGee.

post-35-12624083952659_thumb.png

If you look at this construction photo below, that siding is actually over a 3 story void behind the slanted section of window wall facing Tryon Street (opposite side of the 4 evaporators). All they would need to do is wheel the machine over there and lower it 12-15 feet for it to be hidden.

Duke_2.jpg

Archived