Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you'll get many complaints either... It's probably my least favorite building in uptown. Anyone know how old that structure is?

It was built in two phases. The older structure runs parallel to 1st St and it was built in 1975, with the newer section that completes the "L" shape to the rear coming online in 1985. I think it was designed by Pease and Associates of Charlotte.

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon me for my ignorance, but what is going to happen to the smaller Duke Power center? Is it possible that they could add a lot of retail there ever?

I've been asking myself this same question for quite some time.

I think most of us agree the old Duke Power center is utterly hideous. Someone mentioned the cost of demolishing it would be astronomical. Turning the structure into retail would be the best of all worlds, but how likely is that to happen?

I'm glad that Duke has a new HQ building to point to and symbolize the company. At least now that old HQ will somewhat fade into the background then just like their ugly data center at MLK and College. I prefer a utilized building, even if ugly or boring, versus another empty block. We've got so many empty blocks as it is.

Man...if only I could offer something to this discussion. All I can say is this is an awesome new building for Charlotte. I couldn't see it at all when I was driving along 77 the other night. That was when we got that huge rainstorm and I really needed to be focusing on the road anyway. I typed 6 sentences! Yay me (it is too a sentence)!

I thought that they were adding some sort of heating element to melt snow/ice accumulations on the angle portion?

I'm glad that Duke has a new HQ building to point to and symbolize the company. At least now that old HQ will somewhat fade into the background then just like their ugly data center at MLK and College. I prefer a utilized building, even if ugly or boring, versus another empty block. We've got so many empty blocks as it is.

Doesn't Duke have a fairly extensive control system/network in the old building? I swear I've heard that it would be impractical to destroy that building because of all the stuff that feeds into it. I could also be very wrong about this.

I was driving in on Graham St and it is very noticeable. It ill be better when all of the linear lighting is on. I thought the light in genral was too bright compared to the rest of the skyline. It almost makes all of the other lights look green by comparison. Hopefully that's something they can improve.

Whoa!!!

Just looked out of my window and the entire "handle" of the building is lit up! I knew the sides of the building lit up but was not aware of this capability. It looks great!

I saw it too....it was pretty amazing! Blew me away that the handle could light up all different colors. I felt like I was watching a laser light show.

I was driving in on Graham St and it is very noticeable. It ill be better when all of the linear lighting is on. I thought the light in genral was too bright compared to the rest of the skyline. It almost makes all of the other lights look green by comparison. Hopefully that's something they can improve.

When they were testing last year, the lights were fading in and out so I guess they do have the ability to set the brightness.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived