Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

Look ma, no crane! (and I didn't Photoshop it out)

I did a double take today while driving down Kings Dr. I wondered if they could actually lower it out of sight (from the photos I saw of it a few months ago, it didn't appear it was able to fold down), or if they dismantled it altogether. And yes, it just looks so much prettier without that distraction under the handle, IMO.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a double take today while driving down Kings Dr. I wondered if they could actually lower it out of sight (from the photos I saw of it a few months ago, it didn't appear it was able to fold down), or if they dismantled it altogether. And yes, it just looks so much prettier without that distraction under the handle, IMO.

If they can just lower the main portion and leave the boom above the roof, it would not be visible from the ground, I would think.

I noticed that Duke Energy has applied for a building permit to build a temporary trading floor in their existing HQ (the Energy Building). 2 questions for anyone that knows.

Does Duke Energy currently have a trading desk in Charlotte? I thought all that activity was in Houston.

Is it likely since they are building a temporary trading floor in the Energy Building, that they will build a permanent one in the DEC?

Follow up to this post in today's CBJ. I highlighted the related sentence:

Duke might also combine its trading floor operations in Ohio with those in Charlotte.

Read more: Duke Energy says 900 employees take buyouts - Charlotte Business Journal:

The article on 3/26 had more words on it, but not much more info:

"

For example, Duke has energy trading floors in both Charlotte and Cincinnati, each with about 16 traders. Duke declines to comment on the possibility that the floors will be consolidated. But the company recently got a permit to build a temporary trading floor at its Energy Center building on South Church Street.

Duke says it’s constructing the temporary floor because the company will be renovating the permanent trading floor in Charlotte.

"

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/03/29/story15.html?b=1269835200^3110811

Maybe somebody could ask what they think about the anti-aircraft gun / window washing crane on the roof.

When they are done caulking up the panels at the top it will be recessed into the building and out of view.

Also they said the lights along the 4 corners are going to be replaced with an "LED Tube" similar to what is in the "V" portion of the top now.

When they are done caulking up the panels at the top it will be recessed into the building and out of view.

Also they said the lights along the 4 corners are going to be replaced with an "LED Tube" similar to what is in the "V" portion of the top now.

YES! YES! YES! LOL!

I drove by today after the meeting to take a look. They were actually installing the new LEDs on the NE side of the tower. The look much better, as they sort of blend in like metal decoration. The architect mentioned that the problems with the old fixtures were due to a flaw in their design--they weren't sealed properly at the factory and they would short out every time it rained. He said they plan to test the new ones as early as next week.

Glad to hear about the crane. But about the lights...does this mean that all four corners of the building will be lit up like the top? I love it the way it looks right now, and I think that the multi-colored lights down each corner, though cool when they first started testing, were a little bit of overkill. I do hope that if there are lights up all four corners, it doesn't take the classiness out of the look that the building already has.

Glad to hear about the crane. But about the lights...does this mean that all four corners of the building will be lit up like the top? I love it the way it looks right now, and I think that the multi-colored lights down each corner, though cool when they first started testing, were a little bit of overkill. I do hope that if there are lights up all four corners, it doesn't take the classiness out of the look that the building already has.

I spoke with the architect and he reiterated that what you saw in the past was nothing more than tests to see how the LEDs performed. The building will always be one color, except on special occasions or for events. As a side note, the NE side is now completely installed with the new LEDs.

I spoke with the architect and he reiterated that what you saw in the past was nothing more than tests to see how the LEDs performed. The building will always be one color, except on special occasions or for events. As a side note, the NE side is now completely installed with the new LEDs.

I hope we will see orange for the playoffs!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really happy to admit I was wrong about how long it was going to take to get this finished. I was downtown last night for the Bobcats game and saw the building first-hand. The lights did have a purplish tint, but it was hard to tell if it was intended to be purple or if that's just how the "white" lights look. Either way, it looked really cool and reminded me a little bit of Dallas.

I too saw the building lit up for the first time after riding back on the LYNX from the Bobcats' game. I heard a number of ohhs and ahhs from people on the way back. The way it lit up just exceeded my expectations. It was definitely a purple/blueish tint.

Archived