Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you guys see the light show last night at Duke? The whole thing was all lit up kinda crazy. It started around 7:00 and went on until late in the night. There were a ton of different effects being displayed - solid colors, stripes (looked like a candy cane), sparkles (like a bunch of camera flashes up and down the building), rainbow, and color schemes with motion - i.e. a rainbow that continuously "flowed" up the building. At one point the whole building was lit up white like normal, but the bottom of the handle had spotlights of different colors pointed up at it and moving - it looked like there was a night club on the roof.

The lights on the building are incredibly versatile and it's amazing how they can cycle through effects so quickly, changing the appearance of the entire building. Very cool to see!

Did you guys see the light show last night at Duke? The whole thing was all lit up kinda crazy. It started around 7:00 and went on until late in the night. There were a ton of different effects being displayed - solid colors, stripes (looked like a candy cane), sparkles (like a bunch of camera flashes up and down the building), rainbow, and color schemes with motion - i.e. a rainbow that continuously "flowed" up the building. At one point the whole building was lit up white like normal, but the bottom of the handle had spotlights of different colors pointed up at it and moving - it looked like there was a night club on the roof.

The lights on the building are incredibly versatile and it's amazing how they can cycle through effects so quickly, changing the appearance of the entire building. Very cool to see!

Let's hope we get to see these often enough that we don't forget they are there but rarely enough that it's a treat. I don't think BofA displays their colored lights often enough.

Let's hope we get to see these often enough that we don't forget they are there but rarely enough that it's a treat. I don't think BofA displays their colored lights often enough.

Some time ago I remember reading/seeing a puff piece about the process it takes for BofA to change their lights. Evidentially they have to replace gel covers on every single light up there to do it which is a very expensive process (many thousands). At DEC it's just a matter of playing with a computer program.

Some time ago I remember reading/seeing a puff piece about the process it takes for BofA to change their lights. Evidentially they have to replace gel covers on every single light up there to do it which is a very expensive process (many thousands). At DEC it's just a matter of playing with a computer program.

Amazing what a difference 20 years makes in building towers.

^I didn't see it the other day, but I did see this same cycle for about 20 minutes on April 28th. Pretty awesome. Very gaudy. But impressive none-the-less.

Yes, impressive but gaudy. I couldn't imagine it always like that, but it's nice to think of the possibilities for special events. Even just the array of solid colors is nice. Wonder if they will do something for the NASCAR race in a couple weeks?

While expensive, I wish that BoA would light up the crown with multiple colors a la Empire State Building. Has a very dramatic and eye-catching effect. I wonder why they haven't replaced the lights that adorn the crown with more energy efficient LED's. Would seem like that would be a much cheaper long-term solution with several benefits. Off-topic I know, but a point I've been meaning to bring up for awhile nevertheless.

I drove through Charlotte on Monday, and all I can say is wow! From I-85, this tower is, for me, the hottest, most gorgeous skyscraper anywhere. I'll bet airline passengers connecting through Charlotte are equally impressed.

This building is HOT!

I just relocated from NYC back to good ol' Atlanta, and maybe when the economy improves I can apply for a job at TVS, the architecture firm responsible for this masterpiece.

-stephen

^Very cool. I've seen some of these unique color schemes in the last week. Even if just the outside it lit blue, it gives the Charlotte skyline a much cooler look. Can't wait to see what it looks like for the 4th of July.

Probably like this:

2zi3n8g.jpg

It was taken with a cell phone camera from my back yard, so it's not great quality, but it should give you a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Duke announced that the DEC has been awarded LEED Platinum.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06/07/1485004/duke-energy-center-receives-platinum.html

It's an impressive feat. I believe that building had originally been going for Silver, so Duke must have sunk some money into additional building technologies (like the LED lighting) to kick them up that high.

Duke announced that the DEC has been awarded LEED Platinum.

http://www.charlotte...s-platinum.html

It's an impressive feat. I believe that building had originally been going for Silver, so Duke must have sunk some money into additional building technologies (like the LED lighting) to kick them up that high.

I believe it is only the 2nd skyscraper in America to receive LEED platinum with the other being the newly opened BoA tower in NYC.

That's really impressive and is great publicity for Charlotte.

• 3 weeks later...

This building really turned out well. The last time I was in Charlotte in 2008 it was only about 8 floors out of the ground. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product and surrounding museums the next time I'm in town, which maybe around November.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived